Caller ID on TV not working - fios triple play
iSeeker
Enthusiast - Level 1

My caller id is not working on my TV.  I've read places that you need verizon caller assistant.  I've logged in to that as well and downloaded the desktop version.  My STB tells me that the caller id is activited, and yes, it has been way more than 2 business days.  I have STB 6416.  I've rebooted the STB.  What else do I need to do?

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID on TV not working - fios triple play
Justin46
Legend

@iSeeker wrote:

My caller id is not working on my TV.  I've read places that you need verizon caller assistant.  I've logged in to that as well and downloaded the desktop version.  My STB tells me that the caller id is activited, and yes, it has been way more than 2 business days.  I have STB 6416.  I've rebooted the STB.  What else do I need to do?

Re-boot the router. It is my opinion, based on my 1 1/2 years experience with Caller ID on TV, that sometimes it is just necessary to re-boot the router, then re-boot the STB, then wait (but usually not too long). I believe, but cannot prove, that there are some port forwarding rules in the router that must match the IP address for the STB you want the function to work on, and sometimes they just appear to get out of whack. Re-booting both the router and the STB(s) seems to fix that (again, just my opinion). Some poeple feel that it is necessary to turn of the Caller ID support in the STB and then turn it back on to get things working, that is not my experience, but who knows....

As to Call Assistant, you do need to be registered for that service, but supposedly now, unlike when I first got Caller ID on TV, you do not really need to do anything with Call Assistant, you get registered for it automatically when you activate the Caller ID on TV function (that supposedly is part of the reason they say it may take up to 48 hours, it takes time to get the Call Assistant service activated on your account). It definitely is not required for the Call Assistant client to be downloaded, installed, or run on a PC for the Caller ID on TV service to work; I do not even have Call Assistant installed on my PC any more, every time Verizon came out with a new version of the PC client it worked less and less, so I completely gave up.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

iSeeker
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've rebooted both the router and the STB several times during this process of trying to get this to work.  Even ran the error correction on the STB where it reboots itself.  After reading your post I'll probably delete the desktop VCA though.  I didn't even seem too work (didn't show calls were received after calls were received; but the online version did).

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@iSeeker wrote:

I've rebooted both the router and the STB several times during this process of trying to get this to work.  Even ran the error correction on the STB where it reboots itself.  After reading your post I'll probably delete the desktop VCA though.  I didn't even seem too work (didn't show calls were received after calls were received; but the online version did).

Well, since the online version of Call Assistant does show your calls, then at least we know that the Call Assistant service itself is working. Now the question is, why can't you get the TV piece to work. 

What brand and model router are you using?And you are getting the current Guide data, VOD, widgets, etc. on the TV, right?

I wish I had an answer for you. As I said, I have had it working for about 1 1/2 years, very reliably with only 2 or 3 times it quit working, and each time a simple re-boot of the router and STBs fixed it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes