Caller ID questions
hairball43

I live in North Jersey, and have just signed up for the caller id feature on FIOS.  Once I signed up, it said it should take a day or two to activate.  I have now waited 3 days and still no activation.  I called tech support 3 times, and was bounced around, and finally hung up on twice.  The third person supposedly had a fix -reboot my 6416, but still no luck.  He is now sending me a new box - not sure of the number saying that this is the problem. 

I believe there is also something else that I need to do on the net to activate properly.  There was a phone number and website that was given (I went for a piece of paper to write it down, but it disappeared before I could write it down).  I think it may have said something about call assist - which I am not part of.  Do I need to join this to make this work?  Additionally, if anyone has the phone number or website, I would appreciate it.  I have 2 family members that are having the same problem, also having the same 6416 DVR box that I do.

0 Likes
Re: Caller ID questions
trigjoh
Enthusiast - Level 2
i havent seen this work either and its been over a week now since we signed up. My wife has spoken to Verizon about this too and they said that it should be working.
0 Likes
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon Call Assistant is at: http://www.verizon.com/callassistant

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Keeping in mind that I do not work for Verizon so this is not any kind of official statement, here is what I think is happening with the Caller ID on TV feature.

First, it is my understanding that either FiOS Digital Voice (FDV) or Verizon Call Assistant (VCA) is required for Caller ID on TV (CID) to work. Unfortunately I have no way to verify this requirement personally as I already had VCA when I got CID.

Note that VCA is a free service from Verizon so you will not see any additional charge when/if you get it.

FDV is only available in limited areas, and most people do not have it. Most people do not have VCA either, and it may not be available yet in all areas. If you do not have either FDV or VCA, when the CID option shows up on your STB and you select that you want to activate it, under the covers VCA is also automatically activated for you. Unfortunately VCA cannot be activated in all areas yet, so the VCA activation may fail, and thus the CID is not made available.

I hope the above makes some sense. And hopefully Verizon will be fixing whatever the problems with VCA are soon so that you can get CID, I find it a useful new feature.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Justin wrote:

Keeping in mind that I do not work for Verizon so this is not any kind of official statement, here is what I think is happening with the Caller ID on TV feature.

First, it is my understanding that either FiOS Digital Voice (FDV) or Verizon Call Assistant (VCA) is required for Caller ID on TV (CID) to work. Unfortunately I have no way to verify this requirement personally as I already had VCA when I got CID.

Note that VCA is a free service from Verizon so you will not see any additional charge when/if you get it.

FDV is only available in limited areas, and most people do not have it. Most people do not have VCA either, and it may not be available yet in all areas. If you do not have either FDV or VCA, when the CID option shows up on your STB and you select that you want to activate it, under the covers VCA is also automatically activated for you. Unfortunately VCA cannot be activated in all areas yet, so the VCA activation may fail, and thus the CID is not made available.

I hope the above makes some sense. And hopefully Verizon will be fixing whatever the problems with VCA are soon so that you can get CID, I find it a useful new feature.

Keller, TX 76248

That probably explains my issue.

Have been trying for 6 weeks to get to apply for Call assistant with no sucess, even with tech support help.  Three days ago the caller id feature appeared on the stb and I applied.  Yesterday finally got an email from VZ saying

Congratulations! You've got Verizon Call Assistant

Selected the link to activate VCA and get as far as entering user id and password and then get a window titled

Verizon Call Assistant Sign In   that says

We are experiencing a delay in setting up your account. Please try again later.

I guess the onscreen id display sign up somehow manages to skip the VCA sign up issue that I have been experiencing but in fact whatever sign up request it sent to the system was also rejected.

Guess it's back to technical support again.  Would be nice for a VZ emplyee to chime in at any time?

0 Likes