Customers With Disabilities
Contributor
rageink
0 Kudos

Can I direct connect FIOS service to a TV without any boxes or adapters?

[ Edited ]

I just built a new small bedroom in my basement, and am about to buy a new 22" flat screen TV that will be hung on the wall. If the cabling is split with a bi-directional splitter, do I need to have another adapter in my house? I already have 2 of them plus a box, and a DVR in the livingroom- I'm not trying to add more to my already high Verizon bill. If I need to have a box, I may reconsider putting cable in the room. Any thoughts anyone has would be great.

P.S. Are bi-directional splitters able to be bought at Radio Shack or Home improvement center?

Silver Contributor II
KenAF
Device: Blackberry 9630
0 Kudos

Re: Can I direct connect FIOS service to a TV without any boxes or adapters?

If your 22" flat screen has a built-in QAM tuner, then you'll be able to receive the HD locals and music channels without a box.

If you want to receive more than that, you'll need a Verizon box (or a TV/DVR with a CableCard slot).

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it.
Employee Emeritus
VZ_Frank
0 Kudos

Bi-directional splitters are available at radio shack and home depot just make sure you get a splitter that is at least 1000mgh this will prevent pixelation that would eventually occur

Frank
Verizon Telecom
Fiber Solution Center

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supercede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

Contributor
MattM
0 Kudos

My TV's as well as my PC tuners are all QAM capable. I however cannot find any unencrypted signals when hooked up directly to FIOS. Before I ordered the TV service, I was told I could do this. I yet to have any luck. Did Verizon get rid of clear QAM? I just got FIOS installed. The tech did not replace any of the COX splitters or cables. The splitters are 5-1000mhz.

TV's - Panasonic 50PZ700U / 50G10

PC's - Win7 Haupaugge HVR-2250 / Vista Haupaugge HVR-2250

Bronze Contributor I
Donald_Linbin
Plan: 25/25 local channels
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

you should be able to find local channels only, any other channel is encrypted and requires a box to view.

Also you can view the music channels as well.

Contributor
Holysmoke
Plan: FiosTV
0 Kudos

Yes you can receive all channels except HD if you use a cable splitter. I did this for awhile but you can only watch the channel that the STB is set on so this is not a solution if you want to watch Monday Nite Football while the Mrs. wants to watch a movie.

Go ahead and splurge for a STB for that 2nd room.  :smileyvery-happy:

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools