Cannot connect Samsung blu ray BD-C6500 to TV
Paulunde
Hi,
I cannot access Internet through my BD-C6500 blu ray player. I receive the following messages when I check the status of my setup:

"PHYSICAL CONNECTION ESTABLISHED, BUT CANNOT CONNECT TO EXTERNAL NETWORK..."

When I run a network test I get message that my (IP) is not valid.

I have tried several different IP addresses, but none have worked. Anyone have any ideas?
0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect Samsung blu ray BD-C6500 to TV
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Paulunde wrote:
Hi,
I cannot access Internet through my BD-C6500 blu ray player. I receive the following messages when I check the status of my setup:

I have tried several different IP addresses, but none have worked. Anyone have any ideas?

Are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

Did you update the firmware?

As you started this thread in the the Fios Internet forum I guess you are a fios user.

Are you trying to use a  secondary subnet provided by your own router connected the the Verizon router?

You shouldn't have to enter an ip address as you should get one assigned via dhcp from the router.  Your setting should say auto.

I would configure it to auto then connect it via wire directly to the router and see if it gets a firmware update.

Once that is done you should be able to connect via wire at the tv or if your'e using wireless just follow the wirless setup section in the user manual.

0 Likes
Paulunde

Are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

I am running a cable from the router, directly into my Samsung DVD player. BUT, I am on a wireless network. I receive my internet connection wirelessly and my WiFi connections work fine.

No. I don't know how to do that and didn't know I needed to.

As you started this thread in the the Fios Internet forum I guess you are a fios user.

Yes, I am a FIOS user.

Are you trying to use a  secondary subnet provided by your own router connected the the Verizon router?

Not that I am aware of. I don't know all that much about this stuff.

You shouldn't have to enter an ip address as you should get one assigned via dhcp from the router.  Your setting should say auto.

Auto was not working for me. I started looking around on the forums here and it seemed like I should try entering manual IP's.

I would configure it to auto then connect it via wire directly to the router and see if it gets a firmware update.

Once that is done you should be able to connect via wire at the tv or if your'e using wireless just follow the wirless setup section in the user manual.

Will give it a try later tonight. Thanks.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

If that doesn't work I suggest you plug a laptop into the wire you have going into your Blu Ray player and verify the cable is working properly.   See if the laptop can get on the internet using the cable for the blu ray player.

0 Likes
fibertechguru
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recommend you enable from Router login: Wireless Settings > Advanced Settings > Wep (or Wpa) > Authenticantion > Both

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Paulunde wrote:

No. I don't know how to do that and didn't know I needed to.

I have a BDC 5500, have received 3 or 4 firmware upgraded since the beginning of the year.  Typically the first one is the most important one as it resolved several communication issues, the later ones have just been additions of services and internet apps.

Think I,d initially ignore the wireless side and get the wired side working first.  After that convert it to wireless.

If you have the device connected directly to the router using a cat5 ethernet cable then Auto should work.  If it doesn't then either the router lan port is faulty, the ethernet cable is faulty or the blue ray player lan port of firmware is faulty.

Connecting a pc or laptop via the same ethernet cable should check the first 2.  If doing that doesn't work then try changing the ethernet cable, if it still doesn't work then change lan port.  By then you should know which piece is faulty.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Paulunde wrote:
Hi,

Since you say you've tried several different IP address, it sounds like you're setting the IP address in your BD-C65000. You should not be -- set it for DHCP and let the router assign the address.  I looked at the manual for your player and a DHCP setting is called the "Auto setting" under the network configuration screens.  The drop down under "internet protocol settings" should offer this versus the manual configuration where you have to enter IP information.  Otherwise you need to assign the specific IP address in the router under the DHCP Connections screen -- a process that is more complicated and should be unnecessary. 

0 Likes