Changing Display Colors
pensfan

New to Fios TV. Have been all through the menu settings and options of the Home Media DVR. How can I change the color of the side bars from gray to black when watching a SD program in 4:3 mode. I find that the grey is a distraction to the overall picture compared to the black I was used to with DTV. There is no option in my set to change this and I know in the DTV setup is where I did it before.

Also are the colors for the channel and program info changeable at all? I don't see anywhere to change this either.

0 Likes
Re: Changing Display Colors
Justin46
Legend

No way to change either that I know of.

When I view an SD channel (below 500) the bars on both sides are black, not gray. Are you referring to the bars when viewing SD programs on an SD channel or HD channel? If HD channel, the color of the bars is set by the channel provider, it is part of the signal (and frequently has the channel name or id in the bar).

The colors of the info bar and Menu are fixed. The background colors for the programs identify the type of program - sports, news, movie, etc. You can see the legend by opening the Guide, then pressing the Left Arrow button and scrolling down to Guide Legend.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@pensfan wrote:

New to Fios TV. Have been all through the menu settings and options of the Home Media DVR. How can I change the color of the side bars from gray to black when watching a SD program in 4:3 mode. I find that the grey is a distraction to the overall picture compared to the black I was used to with DTV. There is no option in my set to change this and I know in the DTV setup is where I did it before.

Also are the colors for the channel and program info changeable at all? I don't see anywhere to change this either.

Although the bar color is not "changeable" on the STB, on my TV the "bar" color is actually set by the TV, not the STB.  But if you set the SD override seting to off the STB will send either 720p or 1080i to your TV (depending on what you have the HD setting on the STB set to).  You will then get your black bars on either side of an SD channel that you desire (if in fact you cannot change this on the TV itself).  The SD override off setting has the added advantage of eliminating SD/HD switching on the TV (all goes to it as an HD signal) so there is no delay added in switching between SD and HD channels. 

0 Likes
pensfan

This worked. Thanks for the help. my setting was @ 480i which caused the gray bars. My set is 8 yrs old so it doesn't have all of teh new options. In a few months I  hope to replace it.  I must say though, that coming from DTV, the pic in HD was better on my  set than what I am getting with Fios. 2 techs have been here and everything has been adjusted as much as it can be.

0 Likes