Channels on Digital Adapter STBs
dlfuller

I have a digital adapter (Motorola DCT-700) on a seldom-used analog second TV.

The STB was activated and initially received local channels plus SD channels from the "FiOS Essentials" listing (Southeastern PA). Now it appears to only receive the local channels. Other channels display "This channel is temporarily not available" except the situation seems to be permanent and not temporary. Our other STBs do display these channels.

Are these DCT-700s different when applied as "digital adapters" than as basic set top boxes? 

0 Likes
Re: Channels on Digital Adapter STBs
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2

The DCT stb is a digital adapter only.  Really the only thing it does is convert the digital signal to an analog signal that the TV is capable of using(most TVs dont even really need them if your TV isn't older than 10yrs).  This is a valid technical difficulty and you should call in to report it so we can help. 

TS

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

dlfuller, 

Have you tried removing the power from the DCT700, wating 30 seconds, and plugging it back in? On other forums I have seen numerous reports of problems getting all of the SD channels people are subscribed to, removing the power and plugging it back it seems to fix it most of the time. My DCT700 worked correctly right out of the box, but many apparently don't, and all of the Verizon STBs seem to be susceptable to getting somewhat confused at times and needing the power removed to force a reboot that clears things up.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes
dlfuller

Thanks for the responses.

I re-booted several times. No change. But the message displayed for channels that I had received before is something like "the channel is experiencing technical difficulties". Invalid numbers and other channels do display differently that they are "not available".

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@dlfuller wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

I re-booted several times. No change. But the message displayed for channels that I had received before is something like "the channel is experiencing technical difficulties". Invalid numbers and other channels do display differently that they are "not available".

It sounds like the signal level may be too low for the channels reporting "technical difficulties".  Not positive, but I believe that is the DCT-700's way of saying low signal.  Has anything tin your coax connections changed recently (additional splitter, cable changes, etc.)?  If not, looks like a service call is in order.

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
You are correct keyboards.  The Technical Difficulties error message is related to a signal quality issue.  It is either a low signal up to the STB or the STB is having a problem processing the signal because of any number of reasons.  Best bet is to call in. 
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

ok before calling in try to do a couple different things

1. Reseat the Coax from the wall to the Digital Adapter and from digital adapter to the TV.

2. Move another box to that same location using the working cables and see what happens.

3. Check your splitter (if you can get to it) by reseating the cables.

Try those things first before calling it one of the 3 may get it working again since its most likely a signal issue.

0 Likes
dlfuller

I apologize for the delay replying.  I wanted to thoroughly troubleshoot by checking and switching cables, STBs, splitters, and locations, as suggested.

No change.  Still only basic local channels and the others would display "This channel is having temporary technical difficulties."  Keep in mind that these channels had been received before with the same STB and hookup.

Finally, out of frustration I dug out the paperwork for the STB with its activation code.  Then online to http://www.verizon.com/fiostv/selfinstall/ to re-activate the thing.  That worked!  Channels all there.

A successful conclusion as a result of a simple step.  I kinda figure that these symptoms should have been recognized by Verizon before needing to get involved in hardware troubleshooting.  I assume no activation means no channels except for local (broadcast) ones.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Glad your problem was fixed by a simple reauthorization.  I am not an employee (this is a peer-to-peer forum) and made an assumption as to what the error message meant since I had never seen (or encountered anyone who had) it before.  I would have expected a better error message for a not authorized vs.. an actual signal problem - foolish me Smiley Wink

Thanks for the feedback and I will put that piece of knowledge in the old memory bank.

0 Likes