Connected eSata drive, but DVR status doesn't show any more space?
fontdude

I just connected the recommended Western Digital MyBook AV 1TB eSata drive to my QIP72161 and followed the instructions to activate it. After my box rebooted I look at the DVR recorder status and it doesn't show any additional space. How do I confirm my drive is set up and working OK & see how much more recording time I have?

0 Likes
Re: Connected eSata drive, but DVR status doesn't show any more space?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

First question may sound stupid but I have to ask (just pretend you are dealing with level 1 tech service Smiley Wink).  You connected the drive to the eSATA on the back of the DVR not any USB ports as the drive comes with both cables.

If the drive was recognized and connected under DVR Status (in the DVR menu section) should now show an internal and external drive.  If you don't see that then the drive was not recognized.  There have been reports of the eSATA cable supplied by WD not working and simply replacing it corrected the issue.

0 Likes
Re: Connected eSata drive, but DVR status doesn't show any more space?
juxta
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the same problem.  I'm assuming you've connected the drive by the eSATA plug to the back of the DVR and the drive is turned on.  

After you choose  'enable more storage' from the DVR menu and after the DVR reboots and after you see normal television again, turn off the eSATA drive momentarily and turn it back on.  You don't have to be within the DVR menu when you do this.  

The DVR should then say "Unrecognized drive detected - Accept or Reject".  Choose Accept.  Then you may get one more prompt to enable the drive.  Once you do this, go to the DVR menu and look at the storage status and it should have changed slightly to show Internal and External.  If not, then the external drive is still not recognized and you still have issues.

You'd figure any connected drive would be automatically recognized by the DVR like a normal computer when plugging in a USB, device but apparently not.

0 Likes