Re: Connecting 2 TVs to HDMI port on FIOS HD cable box
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3
It doesn't matter, since nobody provides content in 1080p unless it's on a disc.
0 Likes
oldbird
I am the original poster.  Just thought I'd let everyone know I bought a one in / two out HDMI active splitter from monoprice.com for <$60.  It works great.  I can run the HDMI from the STB to the splitter and then to the two TVs.  I can also run the HDMI from the STB to a yamaha receiver and them put the splitter on the output HDMI port of the receiver and then to the two TVs.  I think this way, when I get a blue ray player I can then run it's HDMI to the 2nd HDMI port of the receiver let the receiver switch between the FIOS source or the Blur Ray source.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3
Glad to hear it worked out for you.
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@rayman wrote:
the new QIP7216 HD DVR and QIP7100 HD boxes will support both 1080i/p if the program is being broadcast in 1080p.

According to the user manual for the QIP-7100 (link to Motoroal site) the maximum resolution is still 1080i and I would assume the QIP-7216 DVR is the same.  It will support MPEG-4 (which is not currently used for broadcast or by Verizon).

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

According to the user manual for the QIP-7100 (link to Motoroal site) the maximum resolution is still 1080i and I would assume the QIP-7216 DVR is the same.  It will support MPEG-4 (which is not currently used for broadcast or by Verizon).

Keyboards, unfortunately: 

First, your link does not work. 

Second, from the data sheet for the QIP7100, 1080p is there. Link:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Business/Products/TV%20Video%20Distribution/Set-tops/Hybrid%20QA...

The QIP7216 data sheet says 1080p also.

Of course Verizon does not provide 1080p so it really doesn't matter much at this point. But it could some time in the future.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Sorry for the bad link.  Try this one:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Consumers/Products/Home%20Digital%20Video/QIP7100/_Documents/Static%20Files/QIP7100%20-%20User%20Guide.pdf

It shows only up to 1081i.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles/Consumers/Products/Home%20Digital%20Video/QIP7100/_Documents/Static%20Files/QIP7100%20-%20User%20Guide.pdf

It shows only up to 1081i.

And the link I provided very clearly shows 1080p. Both are Motorola documents, so which is correct?

I think the difference MAY be that the data sheet is describing the ACCEPTABLE INPUTS, which includes 1080p, while the user guide is describing the CURRENT MOTOROLA-SUPPORTED OUTPUTS, via the configuration options. Since nobody delivers 1080p to the STB at this point, having the STB output in 1080p now would be pretty useless I think. But my guess is that if the box will accept 1080p input now, it probably (maybe?) has the hardware now, but no software, to deliver 1080p out.

Not arguing, just reporting what I see. Sometime in the future we will presumably find out the real story.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Justin -

My only argument would be with Motorola.  As you were, just pointing out what I saw on Moto's site.  How about we roshambo to see which is correct - I'll go first Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-13-2009 03:44 PM
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Keyboards wrote:

Justin -

How about we roshambo to see which is correct - I'll go first Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by Keyboards on 08-13-2009 03:44 PM

I must be way, way out of touch, never heard of that....GREAT....however, being the old, fat, slow, but great martial arts expert that I am, you missed completely with your first kick.....  Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248 

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizon doesnt broadcast in 1080p at this time. Even if the show is in p. If this ever changes then I would assume that they would start offering upgrades to the boxes. I mean they would really have to in order to support their own service. But until they do move to 1080p, its a moot point.

Now "technically" HDMI and Component cables both can handle 1080i signals and should "theoretically" see the same picture quality. But this has a lot to do with your TV and also with your own preferences. I've seen TV's that I cant tell the difference between component and HDMI. And I have seen TV's that the HDMI is better. On my 46" Samsung LED tv, the component cables are actually better. I get a more vibrant pic. But a lot of this is subjective

I would think however, that whatever benefit HDMI has over component cables would be lost once you start splitting the signal. Component cables should take a split easier and you would have less headaches with the HDMI handshake issues that seem prevalent now-a-days. IMHO

please just disregard this. I didnt see the second page of posts and thought I was still going to help. LOL. I'll leave my post here as I think its still valid but the topic seems well handled without it. 

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-14-2009 01:10 PM
0 Likes