DVR Recording Issues
pjd3
My DVR has programs scheduled to record and is not recording them.  What gives?
0 Likes
Re: DVR Recording Issues
SQUIDWARD360
Enthusiast - Level 2
That is certainly vague.  Check out some of the other DVR threads to answer your question.
0 Likes
mqd

Doesn't sound vague to me. DVR schedule says that a certain program is going to record - with no conflicts - and then it does not record as promised. Not vague, annoying and impossible to fix in that there is no indication in the schedule as to what the DVR is going to ignore.

To be clear - we would like a fix so that all shows that are scheduled to record with no conflicts actually record.

Thank you.

0 Likes
rnmk

I second that.  The issue is simple and straight forward.  Programs that were scheduled to be recorded were not.

I have 4 programs that were scheduled to record this past week, and none of them did.  If I go to the "View Schedule" option of the DVR menu, all of the missing episodes are still listed.  That would indicate to me that the DVR is still waiting to record them, even though they have already aired.

My parents live around the corner, and they're experiencing the exact same issue.  So, it's not something I did wrong.   Apparently, there was a recent, unexplained problem with Verizon's service.  Either that, or a number of DVR boxes were broken by yet another overnight Verizon "update."  These updates, which I think are supposed to improve the functionality of my box, have broken it in the past on more than one occasion.

So, the question now is, will my programs for this week be recorded.  I suppose only time will tell.

0 Likes
theking

I had the same problem! I could not find a fix. Then when I was in a different room and tried to view something that was previously recorded, the STB in that room did see the program but could not play it.

When this happened it stated to power off the DVR and to unplug it " 30 seconds" and then to plug it back in. When I did this, the DVR went through some kind of setup. (That is weird things on the display.) After less than a minute it seemed back to normal.  To test this I set the DVR to record two programs in the near future.  About the next half hour is sufficient. Then I used there remote to power off the DVR. When I came back and it was recording again.  I did the same without powering off. That is set to record in a half hour and left the DVR on another channel.  Once again everything seemed okay.

My DVR now records as it should.

Solution - Unplug the DVR. Wait about 30 seconds and plug it back in.

Let me know if that helped.

0 Likes
tomNYC

Same problem here twice so far in the past 3 months.

First time it was for a newly created series and it just never recorded. Second time it was for a series that WAS recording and then stopped. Both times the only fix was to delete the series recording settings and then tell the DVR to start recording the series all over again. Seems to be working fine for now.

Also around the time I this happened the second time, several older recordings wouldn't play back. 

0 Likes
theking

The long term solution seems to be to unplug the DVR. Leaving the DVR plugged in and just turning it off does not perform the necessary action. Clearly since there is still power to the DVR the act of unplugging it and waiting a short period  - forces the DVR to reset all connections.  Doing this will also stop the you from having to reset all your recording times again.  When you turn off any device that has a remote with the remote you are not killing the devices power!!!!!  You are placing in in a low power standby mode.  That is why you are not reestablishing the necessary info on the system once it has gone erratic.  The only solution is to pull the plug itself.  Anything else may do a temp fix but not a real fix.  Also the real issue here is not the DVR but whatever Verizon is doing that knocks the DVR out of whack with the listings and the network in general. This is a problem because you now know the fix but can only determine when to apply this fix when the system fails to record.

Verizon will never own up to this as an issue because there is an expected term of service on their part and they will not accept liability for any shortcoming.  You can search for an answer but you won't get one from them that is definitive.  Why would they say it is a problem with the equipment or the service?

0 Likes
rnmk

I had called Verizon for a previous issue with my STB, and the "unplug and wait" solution was their suggestion.  So, I did as you did and tried it again yesterday.  It looks like it worked, but I had one small difference...

Many of my scheduled recordings are gone. Strangely, a few series I had scheduled to record within the last few weeks were still on the schedule.  Anything I had scheduled prior to that has vanished.

It doesn't really matter to me, because I was planning to re-create all my scheduled recodrings anyway.  They didn't work last week, so I wanted to re-create them to be sure.  But, I just thought others would want to know this might happen.  Although, I don't know what choice you have anyway.

On a side note, this kind of problem is just the sort of thing that's going to get me looking into Tivo.  And, if I find Tivo also works with my local cable provider, Verizon may have a problem with me.  It would be a shame, too.  Verizon's picture is excellent, and my internet service is fast and reliable.  But...

My bill is regularly a mess.  I could detail my experiences, but I have no doubt that most here already know what I'm talking about.  I've also heard Verizon is planning to raise their rates.  Those problems, coupled with a DVR that now seems to record when and if it feels like it... that may be just enough to get me to give cable a shot.

Hello, Verizon?  Can you here me now?  Are you even listening?

0 Likes
rnmk
Wow... all that ranting... and I close it out by saying "here" when I meant "hear."  It loses some effect when you do something like that... LOL
0 Likes