Do I need a set top box in each room if I already have a cable outlet?
Taztic23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a FioS Customer and currently I have 3 set top box hooked up to TV in 3 different rooms. We are adding another TV to our living room which already has the cable outlet? We tried hooking up or TV directly to the outlet and we don't get any TV service. Do I need to activate the outlet thru Verizon? What is the fee involve? We just want a basic TV service in that room.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Do I need a set top box in each room if I already have a cable outlet?
Taztic23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply. Can you dumb it down for me...please? 🙂 What is the live cable and how do I know or what to check for? We never had a box hooked up in that room before. All it has is a wall cable outlet.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of things:

1) Are you sure the cable you hooked up to is live? Have you had a box hooked up to it before? If not, try that first.

2) If a box doesn't work either, you need to find where the other end is and hook it up to a splitter.

3) If a box does work, you need to have TV do a search for channels. I assume your TV is fairly new as it has to be QAM compatible.

FIOS does not charge a fee for any TV that doesn't need or use a box.

Hope this helps.

Taztic23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the quick reply. Can you dumb it down for me...please? 🙂 What is the live cable and how do I know or what to check for? We never had a box hooked up in that room before. All it has is a wall cable outlet.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So first thing to do is take a box you know works form another room and hook it up to the cable you want to use.

If it works, then the cable is ok and you just need to program the tv.

If it doesn't then you need to find the place where all the cables end and see if there is one or more that isn't connected.

You may need a bigger splitter if all of the existing ports are taken.

Taztic23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much. I took the risk by starting out with the TV to search for the channels (I was too lazy to bring the box in:-)) and I got the basic channels. Thank you for patience and reply.

0 Likes