Does HBO Go through a Playstation 3 have 5.1 surround sound?
mattand
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey, all:

Just wondering if 5.1 Dolby surround is avaialbe in HBO Go on a PS3? Early tests seem to indicate 'no'. Our AV system shows all of the speakers are active, and games and discs (Blu-ray and DVD) all are outputing properly.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does HBO Go through a Playstation 3 have 5.1 surround sound?
PJL
Master - Level 3

@mattand wrote:

Hey, all:

Just wondering if 5.1 Dolby surround is avaialbe in HBO Go on a PS3? Early tests seem to indicate 'no'. Our AV system shows all of the speakers are active, and games and discs (Blu-ray and DVD) all are outputing properly.

My experience on multiple platforms indicates that no HBOGo is DD5.1.  I sure wish it were! 

View solution in original post

PJL
Master - Level 3

@mattand wrote:

Hey, all:

My experience on multiple platforms indicates that no HBOGo is DD5.1.  I sure wish it were! 

mattand
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hey, PJL:

Thanks for the feedback. I had a real hard time getting a straight answer to this. I found an Endgadget article from earlier this year indicating HBO Go was streaming 5.1, but there was no list of providers.

It's a shame, because watching HBO through the PS3 is much less rage inducing than using Verizon's interface.

I wonder if it is an issue similar to the way Verizon is throttling Netflix: they're intentionally crippling a popular streaming service to force the user to use a less sophisticated Verizon solution.

Kind of a shame, really. Oh, well. Thanks for the help.