Don't pay double for FIOS ONT backup battery
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

My ONT started beeping after a recent power outage and I saw the red "Replace battery" light was on.  Verizon wants you to buy the replacement battery for $34.99 from their supplier

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=A0760&PromoS...

but the same battery is avaialble for $17.95 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-for-PX12072-NON-OEM-Replacement/dp/B003LNIEIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?...

Re: Don't pay double for FIOS ONT backup battery
mjgordon6
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wouldn't pay for it period. If Verizon thinks that it's the customer's responsibility to ensure that their equipment work so that we can continue to pay them for their service, they've got another think coming.

When/if this situation arises, they can get lost as far as I'm concerned. Switch to Comcast or some other competitor.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

over 20 bucks?    O_o

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@bbinnard wrote:

My ONT started beeping after a recent power outage and I saw the red "Replace battery" light was on.  Verizon wants you to buy the replacement battery for $34.99 from their supplier

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=A0760&PromoS...

but the same battery is avaialble for $17.95 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-for-PX12072-NON-OEM-Replacement/dp/B003LNIEIS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?...

Excellent post, excellent topic. To perhaps add a little more information:

1) There are many brands that will work. Here is the battery provided by Verizon in my Battery Backup Unit (BBU):

I have no way to know whether the same battery configuration will work in all BBUs, but this one is in my BBU for a Tellabs 1600-612 SFU Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

2) The important battery characteristics are:

a) Size, it needs to fit in the BBU.

b) Voltage (12 volts)

c) Terminal type (F2 in this case)

d) Rating in Ampere Hours (7.2 in this case). 7.2 should be the minimum for any battery you buy, higher won't hurt and will extend the run time slightly.

Certainly Amazon is a respected and reliable source. But if it were me, I would look around locally to see if I could find a new battery faster, and maybe even cheaper. And if you think you do find one locally, I highly recommend you take the old battery out of the BBU and carry it with you to make sure the new battery will fit and has the same terminal arrangement.

One last thing: there have been reports of the BBU beeping that the battery needed replacement when it really didn't. So before I went to the expense and trouble of getting a new battery, I would unplug the BBU from the wall outlet, remove the battery connectors, wait a couple of minutes, then reverse the procedure and see if the BBU starts beeping again. It could just be that things needed to be reset.

Hope this helps a little more.

Keller, TX 76248

Justin46
Legend

@mjgordon6 wrote:

I wouldn't pay for it period. If Verizon thinks that it's the customer's responsibility to ensure that their equipment work so that we can continue to pay them for their service, they've got another think coming.

When/if this situation arises, they can get lost as far as I'm concerned. Switch to Comcast or some other competitor.

Obviously your choice.

Verizon warrants the battery they provide for one year. After that, it is your responsibility, as is clearly stateed in their documentation. The battery in my first ONT/BBU lasted about 5 1/2 years and was still going strong when Verizon decided to replace my ONT/BBU for something totally unrelated. My new one is at about 1 1/2 years so far with no problems.

You would switch to another provider over a $20 - $30 battery? Wow! That seems rather shortsighted, but then again, as I said, it is your choice.

Keller, TX 76248

Most excellent response - thanks
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

(Slaps forhead - why didn't I think of that?)

I unplugged  the BBU and dicsonnected the battery - waited 2 minutes - plugged everything back in and Voila!  No more red light on the BBU. 

Smiley LOL

But at least I know where to get a repalcement battery if/when I need one.

I wonder if that BBU red light goes on whenever there is a real power outage that forces the BBU to take over.  The one I had lasted only about 10 seconds.  I guess I could find out by flipping the the appropriate circuit breaker, but I'm probably not going to do that.

mjgordon6
Enthusiast - Level 2

Justin,

As you said, my choice. However,

• If your settop box dies and you can't get FIOS TV, does Verizon require you to purchase another one? No
  • If your modem/router stops working, does Verizon require you to purchase another one? No

So I don't follow the logic in your response? When FIOS was installed, we were not given the option to install a battery backup, they just put it in and then said 'oh by the way, there's a battery backup in your garage'. That's all. No further instructions or information about replacing a battery at our own expense.

Coupled with the fact that it doesn't actually DO anything. Ours has broken twice this year and we have to wait 3 days for them to come out and 'fix' it, so asking me to pay for unneccessary, unrequested, and obviously lousy equipment on top of the outrageous charges Verizon already charges for mediocre-at-best service is a non-starter. Thanks for your valuable input though.

wraujr1
Contributor - Level 1

mjgordan, please share with us all the cell phone, ipad, ipod, etc. manufacturers who warrant their batteries for life as you seem to suggest.  One year warranty is fairly standard and at least you can replace it without going to repair shop like an ipod, etc. and you can buy it anywhere you like.

Should Verizon give you free batteries for your remote?  Does your car get free batteries for life?

IMHO, Verizon is being reasonable.

The battery is there to keep your phone service only active for 4 - 8 hours following power outage.  If you don't care, don't replace it.

0 Likes
mjgordon6
Enthusiast - Level 2

We don't have Verizon phone service, so as I said previously, it doesn't DO anything other than cause us to lose service for several days. And you're right, Apple doesn't replace batteries at no charge, nor do any of the other elecetronic manufacturers whose products I CHOOSE to buy, knowing IN ADVANCE that a battery is required for operation.

Re: Don't pay (AT ALL) for FIOS ONT backup battery - NOT!
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@mjgordon6 wrote:

... If Verizon thinks that it's the customer's responsibility to ensure that their equipment work so that we can continue to pay them for their service, they've got another think coming ... When/if this situation arises, they can get lost as far as I'm concerned. Switch to Comcast or some other competitor.

Speaking of battery replacements, I had a similar problem with my late model car last year. This could escalate into a serious issue because we use that car to take my wife's mother (she's 92) to the hospital each time she has a problem.

Strangely enough, Honda simply refused to ship me a new free battery (including installation, of course). Toyota, here I come.