Esata External Drive Maximum Capacity Question
eb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 2 TB WD esata drive and the STB only recognizes 1 TB of it (I just replaced an older 1 TB WD drive with it).  Is the STB supposed to recognize all 2 TB of external storage?  Mine does not.  When I go to the HDD diagnostic page (press the D button for 3 seconds and then press OK) the stb diagnostic sofware recognizes 1.8 TB capacity of it (drive 1 - the external drive) but only formatted a 1 TB partition and a 1 GB partition for it.  I wasted 2 hours on several calls to FIOS support on this issue with no answer:  one guy says there is no limit and said I needed to change my dvr recording default from "save until space is needed" to "save until I delete" to force the STB to recognize the second TB of space.  I did this and the stb still deletes shows to make room for new when the 1 TB level is reached on the external drive; the second had no idea and wasted a bunch of my time before I had to hang up and the third one refused to answer any qustions because I am not using the Verizon recommended 500 GB or 1 TB WD drives listed on your website even though the Verizon FAQ on esata says there is no maximum limit for esata drive storage.  All I was trying to find out was if the software will actually format multiple 1 TB partitions on the external drive or does it only format a 1 TB and a 1 GB like it did on mine.  My set to box is a cisco chs 435hdc.

0 Likes
Re: Esata External Drive Maximum Capacity Question
kleefton20

Interesting. 

I read somewhere that you could only use up to 2 TB for an external hard drive for that same box. 

I used to have a 2 TB drive on there but it failed after falling on the floor. It never felt like I had 2 TB though, as it filled up quickly.  I now have a 500GB and using the menu screen that you used it is showing that I only have 96GB free even though the dvr menu shows it is only 22% full. 

My guess is that there is something wrong with that menu. 

0 Likes
eb1231
Enthusiast - Level 2

What is the total space and free space for drive 0 and drive 1?

0 Likes
kleefton20

Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 are showing 465 GB, whih is correct.

However, the free disk space does not make sense though. 

Drive 0  currently shows 10GB free while DVR menu says 62% full 

Drive 1 currently shows 150GB free while DVR menu says 43% full 

I think one of those menus is faulty,. Most likely the Drive 0 and Drive 1 menu. 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@kleefton20 wrote:

Both Drive 0 and Drive 1 are showing 465 GB, whih is correct.

However, the free disk space does not make sense though. 

Drive 0  currently shows 10GB free while DVR menu says 62% full 

Drive 1 currently shows 150GB free while DVR menu says 43% full 

I think one of those menus is faulty,. Most likely the Drive 0 and Drive 1 menu. 

Have you tried a reboot?  I used to have issues with incorrect percentage vs. areported free space and a reboot seemed to clean it up.

0 Likes