External Hard Drive Not Recognized...
Raven6009
Enthusiast - Level 2

I purchased a recommended hard drive (Western Digital WDBABT0010HBK-NESN) and hooked it up with the SATA cable to my Motorola 7232 DVR. I selected Enable More Storage, activated the extender option, and re-booted the DVR. The external drive is on but the DVR does not show it. Under DVR/Recorder Status it just says DVR Usage and Capacity and does not show Local Drive/External Drive. I've rebooted the DVR and unplugged/plugged in the DVR about 5 times now and still nothing. Any ideas on how to get this working? The light on the external HDD is on and the drive is running.

0 Likes
Re: External Hard Drive Not Recognized...
Raven6009
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay I managed to get it working after some more trial and error. Despite reading not to insert the SATA plug into the DVR while it is turned on I decided to do it anyway. After plugging it in a box popped up right away saying that the drive is now working and ready to use.

Rev-olution
Enthusiast - Level 1

Raven6009 is absolutely right.

Forget the standard instructions. The way to get this eSATA drive to be recognized is to (1) plug the eSATA drive into the power outlet, (2) plug the eSATA cable into the eSATA drive, (3) ensure the DVR Set-Top box is turned ON, (4) plug the eSATA cable into the DVR Set-Top box, (5) a prompt will appear on the TV identifying the presence of the eSATA drive and asking if you wish to "Accept" it {do this}, (6) once you accept the eSATA drive, it will now work!!!

DrJJ2

Finally, after multiple phone calls to Verizon, swapping out the DVR and the external drive, this is what works. It appears that Verizon technical support has no clue about how to fix this issue.

0 Likes