FIOS DVR recordings experience freezes during playback
DINKScubaDivers

I have the Verizon QIP-7261-1 and it works fine when I record and play back FIOS TV shows.

I wanted more storage so I bought an external hard drive and a eSATA cable.  The cable is an 18" Premium Quality Shielded eSATA (External SATA) Round Cable  6Gb/s SATA 3 Speed.  The hard drive is a Seagate st1000dm003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive w/M9 USB2.0+ eSATA 3.5'' enclosure.

When I hook up the external drive, I get sort of frequent screen freezes during playback.

I tried buying a different brand cable to the same result.

Is this a known problem with the DVR model I have; I understand there is a newer DVR available; am I allowed to ask for Verizon to ship me one for free?  I've had FIOS for 3 years.

Is this just a known problem with FIOS and external hard drives in general?

Is this a known problem with the Seagate external hard drive?

thanks to anyone who knows a solution.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS DVR recordings experience freezes during playback
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the problems trying to use your external drive. Any drive should work as an expander. Have you tried reformatting the drive and trying again? Have you tried RMA'ing the drive back to the manufacturer to get a replacement?

0 Likes
Jsmity77
I am experiencing this same problem except I do not have an external hard drive or any peripheral devices for that matter. Have had the DVR for 8 years now. Think I have a bad DVR. Verizon tech support told me the DVR should last forever. Really?
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It does sound like your DVR is failing.  You should be able to call Verizon and have them send you a replacement.

Be aware, though, that you cannot transfer existing recordings to the new DVR.  You can transfer recording scheduling but not existing recordings.

0 Likes