FIOS Quantum DVR Transfer Question
Shmuby
Enthusiast - Level 2

The rep that I spoke with on the phone told me that I would not lose any of my current DVR recordings when upgrading from my MR DVR to the FIOS Quantum DVR - can anyone confirm this to be true?  From a technical perspective I'm not sure I understand how that would work.  I can think of a couple different scenarios but I don't think any of them are plausible.  Or is it possible that they can transfer the content from one DVR to the new Quantum DVR when I make the pickup?

Thanks,

Shmuby

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Quantum DVR Transfer Question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

I believe you got bad information.  Everything I know about Verizon's DVRs says recordings can't be transferred between devices.  This includes recordings stored on external hard drives.  The issue is the data is encrypted using a key that is present inside the STB chip set.  Each box has it's own key and they can't be moved.

I could be wrong, if so, someone may correct me.

Good Luck.

Re: FIOS Quantum DVR Transfer Question
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are absolutely correct.

You can only transer series info (not the recordings just the series info).

But if you have some things to watch, you can upgrade to quantum.

Just disconnect DVR and connect it to an extra port on your TV.

As long as you don't power off the DVR, you can keep watching it.

GIve yourself a couple of weeks to watch it and then allow time for it to be returned without being charged.

Keep in mind that if your DVR were to fail, you would lose eveything you have recorded anyway.