Re: please fix this Verizon!
prisaz
Legend

Have you ever thought that Verizon turned on the copy protection flag because they may be legally required to do so. The content providers may not wish their content to be copied, and if Verizon does permit the unauthorized copying of content, they are party to copywrite violation law suite. Like it or not, that is just the way things are, and Verizon must comply or be sued.

As a user of Tivo, I have always seen a lock on some content that was downloaded to my TV. Like Amazon movies and such. Verizon had not been setting the flag on many of their channels and programming. I am still able to transfer some content, and some I can not. That is not Verizon but the content provider.

0 Likes
cwerdna
Enthusiast - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

Have you ever thought that Verizon turned on the copy protection flag because they may be legally required to do so. The content providers may not wish their content to be copied, and if Verizon does permit the unauthorized copying of content, they are party to copywrite violation law suite. Like it or not, that is just the way things are, and Verizon must comply or be sued.

As a user of Tivo, I have always seen a lock on some content that was downloaded to my TV. Like Amazon movies and such. Verizon had not been setting the flag on many of their channels and programming. I am still able to transfer some content, and some I can not. That is not Verizon but the content provider.

No, because it doesn't explain why it was wide open prior to 6/7, it's wide open for areas not being transition to Frontier.  A ton of channels that are now protected are still wide open on other providers as well.

I seriously doubt there's an legal obligation by itself, but there could be some contractual obligation of something that was negotiated later.   Of course, it'd help if VZ/Frontier would communicate this to us and explain everything (see above).

I've sent an email off to Current TV since they'd likely be opposed to CP.  I've also mailed HDNet as Mark Cuban I heard is against CP.  So it's rather unlikely those two channels asked for it but are protected now.  I've gotten replies from humans at HDNet and they seem receptive to getting Verizon/Frontier to resolve this, at least for that channel.

There's a running CP tracking thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=451107.

Yes, I've seen protected content from TiVo prior to 6/7 but it was ONLY on content NOT recorded from FiOS TV and only on content downlaoded from the net as such as Amazon, "video on demand" podcasts/vodcasts, music videos, etc.  That's out of Verizon's/Frontier's hands and has nothing to do w/them.

prisaz
Legend

@cwerdna wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

No, because it doesn't explain why it was wide open prior to 6/7, it's wide open for areas not being transition to Frontier.  A ton of channels that are now protected are still wide open on other providers as well.

I seriously doubt there's an legal obligation by itself, but there could be some contractual obligation of something that was negotiated later.   Of course, it'd help if VZ/Frontier would communicate this to us and explain everything (see above).

I've sent an email off to Current TV since they'd likely be opposed to CP.  I've also mailed HDNet as Mark Cuban I heard is against CP.  So it's rather unlikely those two channels asked for it but are protected now.  I've gotten replies from humans at HDNet and they seem receptive to getting Verizon/Frontier to resolve this, at least for that channel.

There's a running CP tracking thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=451107.

Yes, I've seen protected content from TiVo prior to 6/7 but it was ONLY on content NOT recorded from FiOS TV and only on content downlaoded from the net as such as Amazon, "video on demand" podcasts/vodcasts, music videos, etc.  That's out of Verizon's/Frontier's hands and has nothing to do w/them.

Ok good points. I was not aware it was only the New Frontier. Perhaps I missed something in the reading. I hope it gets resolved for you, and does not show up everywhere. I heard a few people say it may. Perhaps they just are not managing the CP properly and it is getting blanketed. ????

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Moxi doesn't have this problem does it?

0 Likes