Re: FiOS VOD quality is horrible!
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Spacedebris, 

How do you say VOD is Independent from your Internet.  Its all TCP/IP.  Now I do understand that the VZ router does QOS to give the Video traffic high priority but I'm not sure how you can say they are independent. 

They are independant, in that, if you are downloading HEAVY HEAVY files and doing streaming over the net, and maxing out your connection, it will not effect your VOD.    or it shouldn't at least.

The fios can be delivered to your house MUCH MUCH faster than what most customers pay for, so they actually provision two things, your internet speed, and then they provision your FiOS VOD speed seperately.

There is QOS in the router, for the STB's to get priority inside your LAN, but on the WAN side of the connection FiOS differentiates the two speeds

0 Likes
Gus_Gutz
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Keyboards wrote:

Also, my understanding was that the cap (your subscribed bandwidth) is raised at the ONT when using VOD in addition to the QOS which assigns higher priority to the VOD over Internet.

So are you saying that if I put on a VOD and do a speed test then I should see faster download speeds on my computer?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@bowdie4th wrote:

Does it make sense, then, to log into my router and check out the settings?   Is there a setting in there

that you know of that I should check for the VOD channel?  I think I'll take a look around and research it a bit.

Interestingly enough I just started a free trial with netflix to stream movies right through my blu-ray player.

I hope I don't get the same issues that Gus_Gutz mentioned or I'll be cancelling that membership.

There aren't any configurable settings in the router that should be adjusted for VOD.  you CAN adjust settings, but by default they are already programmed with proper QOS.  So if you're having a problem and you've already rebooted the router, and factory reset the router, and rebooted the cable boxes that are affected, then you'll want to check your cabling.  Either you can do this or Verizon can do this, but it could be a bad splitter, or a uncapped room, or a bad coax cable.   basically the Coax is bi directional and what is used to deliver the VOD from the internet, through your router and to your rooms. 

so if it's not your router/cable boxes, and not an outage, then it could be your cabling. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Gus_Gutz wrote:

@Keyboards wrote:

Also, my understanding was that the cap (your subscribed bandwidth) is raised at the ONT when using VOD in addition to the QOS which assigns higher priority to the VOD over Internet.

So are you saying that if I put on a VOD and do a speed test then I should see faster download speeds on my computer?

They will not affect one another.   so if you're doing VOD and then a speed test, you will see the same results as if you were not doing a VOD.

0 Likes
bowdie4th

I have not been able to log in for the last couple of days.   I had to call Verizon this morning and the tech had to reboot

my entire system (phone, Internet & TV).    I'm back up now.  

I asked her about the VOD once we had the network rebooted.    She told me that the next time I'm watching VOD,

to either call and have a tech check the signal coming in or I can do it myself through the STB.    She said maybe

the SNR (signal-to-noise ratio) is bad and gave me a range to look for.    That was some helpful information to

receive.   The other tech just had me reboot everything, but when the quality still wasn't good, she had nothing

else to offer as a solution.  So, I will check the SNR next time I'm watching VOD.

In case anyone is interested, the tech I spoke with today said that if the SNR is below 35 or above 37, then there

might be a problem and they would roll a truck to check the wires and I'm thinking they'd check the node I'm off of.

I really appreciate everyone weighing in on this issue.  

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Go to your STB hit menu, Help, Self Diagnostics and hit run.

What is the OOB S/N Ratio?  Mine is at 25db.   

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well I did say that I was trying to simplify it as much as possible. I wasnt getting into the technical details.

But a little more involved...

When it comes to the first hop, yes the VOD and the internet traffic are both handled by the router. And at this point it is just TCP/IP with priority. However, the VOD traffic once flagged by the router is then put on a separate frequency for at the ONT. The VOD only goes to one server hosted by verizon. This frequency at the ONT is meant to use separate bandwidth from your internet connection.

Its similar to using a VPN. Thats what I meant when I said it was separate from your internet. Basic internet traffic is handled by the router, sent to the ONT and goes out on "frequency 1" (just using for description) and has the bandwidth that you pay for. VOD traffic is flagged by the router, sent to the ONT and goes out on "frequency 2" which is a completely separate bandwidth.

Now technically your router should be able to handle 100Mb of bandwidth, so if your using 25Mb on Internet and 35Mb on the VOD you should see no slowdown. But in the real world, putting that amount of traffic on a 10/100 router will show some signs of slowing down. So if your watching VOD on tv and Netflix on a couple of computers, you may start to see yourself reaching your limits. But really, how often are you likely to have that many things all running at the same time?

0 Likes
bowdie4th

Mine is at 24 dB right now.    I will run the diagnostic while VOD is running to check it then and see what I get.

0 Likes