Fios Mobile Remote tablet support
ricevideo
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi there and thanks in advance for any information.

New to Fios service and has been great, however having a technical issue with the mobile remote android app. On my Samgung Blaze cell phone, everything works great. However Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" running Android 4 (Ice Cream sandwich) and the guide and such work perfect. However attempting to use the remote feture the app always force closes. The "Connecting" popup appears in the tv when attempting to link however the app itself always crashes immediately after that.

Am wondering if it's merely an update is needed to support this android version? Anyone with same or similar tablet is able to use the app properly?

As a note: Tablet was brand new and on stock android 4 and very first app installed after setting up google accounts and such was the Fios app so I don't see it being an issue with weird apps conflicting or unsupported custom ROM's.

Would be awesome if this is fixable as the tablet has IR capabilities and am using it as a remote for all my devices and all that is missing is ability to scroll through the Fios guide and just select a show to change the channel direct from the guide without having to switch to the remote app.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Fios Mobile Remote tablet support
PJL
Master - Level 3

@ricevideo wrote:

Hi there and thanks in advance for any information.

New to Fios service and has been great, however having a technical issue with the mobile remote android app. On my Samgung Blaze cell phone, everything works great. However Recently bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" running Android 4 (Ice Cream sandwich) and the guide and such work perfect. However attempting to use the remote feture the app always force closes. The "Connecting" popup appears in the tv when attempting to link however the app itself always crashes immediately after that.

Am wondering if it's merely an update is needed to support this android version? Anyone with same or similar tablet is able to use the app properly?

As a note: Tablet was brand new and on stock android 4 and very first app installed after setting up google accounts and such was the Fios app so I don't see it being an issue with weird apps conflicting or unsupported custom ROM's.

Would be awesome if this is fixable as the tablet has IR capabilities and am using it as a remote for all my devices and all that is missing is ability to scroll through the Fios guide and just select a show to change the channel direct from the guide without having to switch to the remote app.

Thanks

Just a though, but try clearing the data cache for the app.  The app works fine on my NT, although I'm running Android CM7.  And I'm REALLY happy they changed it so that it works with other than just Verizon mobile phones!  It's a great app -- it lets me view FiOS in other rooms where I have a TV but no IR remote repeaters.

0 Likes
ricevideo
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hi there, yep wiped cache, uninstalled wiped data and cache with esfile explorer, factory reset of tablet, reinstall app, you name it.
I love it on my tmo galaxy phone. Is great app just hate using it on tiny phone screen.

Works perfect on wifes phone also. Though both phones are older android versions.

Thanks
0 Likes
1moreBill

I'm having the same problem with the same device, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 running Ice Cream Sandwich OS.  This app was actually the main reason I bought a Droid tablet.

The app launches just fine.  Initial set up runs, and after the code is entered it does appear to register with the STB.  The problem is when selecting to connect to the STB.  The app then crashes.  And every time after, launching the remote function of the app causes it to crash.  The only remedy is to uninstall/re-install, but the remote function remains unusable. 

Reading a few other threads, I'm lead to believe there was a recent (?) update to the app which may have caused it to no longer be compatible with Galaxy Tabs.  I hope this gets fixed, and fixed soon!

0 Likes
ricevideo
Enthusiast - Level 1
Sound exactly like my situation. Same app behavior as well as same reason for initially buying the tab. App works great on phone so thought it would be awesome on a tab..

Hopefully support for these devices can be fixed. Cause i have tried everything possible including custom ICS roms and no luck...
0 Likes
Pandorasdoll
Enthusiast - Level 1

From my understanding, all Android devices must have a registered number in order to be able to use it as a remote. However the apple devices can be use with out having a phone number registered to the device. This has been an issue of mine for a few months now. In fact the any hand held device that is used with FiOS TV, is used through the internet connection, not through an actual IR connection. Maybe there is a work around, there might be a universal remote app that can be installed on the device, and you can control the TV that way.

Good luck, let me know how it works out!

-S

0 Likes