Re: Guide consistently WRONG!!!
Artech

Figured I would go ahead and put up an update for you guys.  I spoke to one of our people in network support and there still hasn't been any word on a new vendor, if one is to be selected.  These types of decisions are usually kept very tight lipped and the FSC usually gets notification 1-2 months after it has happened. 

My only feedback to this would be that if Verizon does not plan on changing vendors, the very least should be a demand on the current vendor to upgrade their guide system to mirror the performance of a TIVO-like system -- and do it quickly.  I was visiting a relative last weekend who has Comcast.  While I left them because of poor service, I have to admit they have a more user friendly, easy to read and clean-looking program guide.  I don't ever want to go back, but Verizon needs to get with the times.  We (customers) are your extended sales/advertising arm.  Unless this problem is resolved soon, it will be difficult to brag about your performance, both as it is now and particularly if nothing is done.  We are paying for a system that is broken.  You are treading on thin ice especially when there are other alternatives for us all.  I realize you know all this and it's being addressed somewhere by someone. But it would be nice to hear something affirmative from the Network folks reassuring us that by (say January at the latest), we'll see this issue resolved. Right now, it's sounding a bit like - 'we might see something, but nobody's talking'.  I, for one find this unacceptable.  Please pass this onto to your Network Support people.  Thanks.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

@TheSanchez wrote:

Figured I would go ahead and put up an update for you guys.  I spoke to one of our people in network support and there still hasn't been any word on a new vendor, if one is to be selected.  These types of decisions are usually kept very tight lipped and the FSC usually gets notification 1-2 months after it has happened.  If I hear anything else I will post up immediatly.  I would also like to point out that many features upcoming and implemented now have actually come from online user bases.  Some examples are more than one favorites channel list, parental control improvements and those little mini games on our standard boxes.  Not to mention you guys will usually report bugs faster than anyone else calling in will ie remote web dvr not working properly.  So from me thank you guys for your attention to detail and just know that we do listen and forward along information.  Thanks for being part of the FiOS community. 

TS

Instead of putting effort into "little mini games" or "widgets" i feel the effort would be better placed in getting the basic product working correctly. The DVR's work terrible and the frimware Vz releases to fix them causes more problems then they fix. That level of quality control is unexceptable, after all we PAY for this service. There should be no isues with the basic DVR function, audio or video, anything less is an insult to the customer.

If Vz HAS to work on something new that they think will please customers then light a fire under someone to enable the ESATA for extended DVR storage capacity.

Joe

pdxhz

@Joe01880 wrote:

Instead of putting effort into "little mini games" or "widgets" i feel the effort would be better placed in getting the basic product working correctly. The DVR's work terrible and the frimware Vz releases to fix them causes more problems then they fix. That level of quality control is unexceptable, after all we PAY for this service. There should be no isues with the basic DVR function, audio or video, anything less is an insult to the customer.

If Vz HAS to work on something new that they think will please customers then light a fire under someone to enable the ESATA for extended DVR storage capacity.

Joe

Well stated. I was always wondering about the new "feaures" being added to DVR software, while the basic functionality shortcomings have not been addressed, not to mention the guide data! 

0 Likes
ou8one2
Maybe we shout start emailing fyi television, about how bad their guide is with Verizon fios?
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@ou8one2 wrote:
Maybe we shout start emailing fyi television, about how bad their guide is with Verizon fios?

Well, here is their website: http://www.fyitelevision.com/. There is a contact us page there with both email addresses and a phone number; and surprise for me,l they are local, in Grand Prairie, TX. I plan to give them a call....

Keller, TX 

Storm
Holmes on Holmes is CASH CAB please fix this error...
0 Likes
Yaco
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just sent them email

Thx

Lee

0 Likes
Artech

Also sent the following email.  Maybe others can use it or modify it to get ourmessage across.

Just a brief note to let you know how dissatisfied many of us are with your guide services to Verizon.  There are many errors in the guide that never seem to get corrected (wrong shows appearing in the wrong time-slots).  Also, since many are now using DVR’s to record their favorite programs, the guide accuracy becomes more critical.  It needs to be updated in real time when there are program delays due to games running late or other pre-empted broadcasts.  For example, we record “The Unit” (or try to) every Sunday night, but although the Guide says it’s on, “Cold Case Files” is on instead because the football game earlier in the day pushed other programs out in time.  Those who use TIVO do not experience these issues as the guide is updated in real time.  With today’s technology, there is no reason for this poor service.  We have been informed that your contract with Verizon expires this year, and we are encouraging them to switch guide services to someone more reliable.  There are enough people becoming frustrated with the current situation that one, they will leave Verizon, or two, scream loud enough to cause some changes to take place (change from FYI).  My guess is the later will prevail.  Verizon doesn’t want to start loosing the customers it fought hard to win.
0 Likes
DentonRealtor
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Joe01880 wrote:

Joe

Very well said Joe, I can't see any use for the "Widgets" yet but the program guide is used by every single customer.  I agree totally get the basice DVR function working before playing with something new. 

0 Likes
CeeZee

@Artech wrote:

Also sent the following email.  Maybe others can use it or modify it to get ourmessage across.

Also, since many are now using DVR’s to record their favorite programs, the guide accuracy becomes more critical.  It needs to be updated in real time when there are program delays due to games running late or other pre-empted broadcasts.  For example, we record “The Unit” (or try to) every Sunday night, but although the Guide says it’s on, “Cold Case Files” is on instead because the football game earlier in the day pushed other programs out in time.  Those who use TIVO do not experience these issues as the guide is updated in real time.  With today’s technology, there is no reason for this poor service.  
First, thanks for posting the email you sent to this horrible guide data service company. I've emailed them in the past with specific problems and have never heard back from them. Now that I have the Triple Bundle from VZ with free long distance, next I'll give them a call.
But, are you sure that TIVO doesn't have this same problem recording programs after football programs that run over time? I see many complaints on the AVS TIVO forum about this very issue. Take a look at this link: 
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=410030
If anyone has a TIVO, maybe they could answer this.

0 Likes