HD DVR displays insane % for capacity!
MoonPanda

Recently my HD DVR has been showing an absurd % for being full compared with how much material is actually recorded - right now its saying...

67% full

for 4hr40m of HD material!

I have the Motorola 7216 box.  Given its (feeble) capacity of around 20 hours of HD, this figure should be under 25%.

Its been giving inaccurate figures for around a couple of weeks.  Last night it went up to 98% so I added another show to see what would happen.  By adding an hours programming, it dropped to 88%!

Is there are way to correct/ reset this without losing my material?  I have three weeks of LOST on the DVR and cannot lose them!

Anyone else have this problem?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HD DVR displays insane % for capacity!
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yes, there have been many posts on this. It is a glitch in the reporting software. It mistakenly reports the drive space that the logs and error reports that the box stores as being on the HD. You can just simply ignore it and it will give you aprox 20 hours of the record space.

Or if you need it to show correctly, you can enter some codes that will clear it.

Go to.... Menu-->Settings-->system info.  

use the remote to type codes

after each code it should say "code entered successfully", code 2601 is the reboot command so the box should reboot at this point. Once rebooted, the box should show the correct usage on the HD.

Now if it still shows incorrect then try codes

• 2617 ***

***Save this code as a last resort.

usually I dont need to use the last 3 codes but they could be needed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yeah - that happens, and when it does you can go to your fios menu -> settings -> system info

there you enter a code, 4883 and then hit ok,  you WILL see a confirmation message that says something to the effect that it was succesfully executed.    after its executed you should reboot the box, so either do it manually by unplugging the power for it - waiting 15 seconds and then plugging the power back in,  or you can use the same fios menu and use the in home agent to reboot the box.

you do that by going to menu - > help -> in home agent -> reboot stb.

that should take care of your %'s

normally its been identified that what is causing the incorrect percentage is a slightly corrupted recording, that is reporting a larger size than it is.  once that file or recording is deleted - it normally will go back to normal, but this is an alternate way to fix that too.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yes, there have been many posts on this. It is a glitch in the reporting software. It mistakenly reports the drive space that the logs and error reports that the box stores as being on the HD. You can just simply ignore it and it will give you aprox 20 hours of the record space.

Or if you need it to show correctly, you can enter some codes that will clear it.

Go to.... Menu-->Settings-->system info.  

use the remote to type codes

after each code it should say "code entered successfully", code 2601 is the reboot command so the box should reboot at this point. Once rebooted, the box should show the correct usage on the HD.

Now if it still shows incorrect then try codes

• 2617 ***

***Save this code as a last resort.

usually I dont need to use the last 3 codes but they could be needed.

0 Likes
MoonPanda

Thanks to both you gentlemen for your prompt help! Smiley Happy

I decided to try spacedebris' first three codes to begin with, as they sounded like "level 1" codes, with 4883 being a "level 2" and I thought starting with a light touch would be good.

Was a bit surprised when I selected "System Info" and wasn't given a box to enter the codes.  Typed them anyway.  I had thought that I was given three codes to try one at a time, but when I reread the message, I thought it was actually telling me to put in all three.  I did so and am back to a correct 23%!!!

Thanks again to both of you for your help!

0 Likes
MoonPanda

LOL!  I just watched an hour of HD, deleted it, and my used hard drive % went UP from 23% to 29%!

I wonder if one of my LOST episodes has a kink in it, and this will stop when I catch up with them.

0 Likes
CrustyViewer
Enthusiast - Level 1

Don't bother with the codes. The easiest way to clear your HD is to  turn it off then on again. So go to your local store and buy one of those gadgets that plug into your power source and has an on/off toggle switch that controls it.. They cost $3-4. Simply plug your DVR into this little sucker, and when you think about it or are being told your HD is getting full, just toggle it off ( which is safe to do at any time as long as you're not recording ) wait ten seconds and toggle it back on. And like magic all is well again in the Verizon HD-DVR universe.

Verizon's new boxes will be taking care of this issue, or so they say. I hope I'm alive to see that! 

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@CrustyViewer wrote:

Don't bother with the codes. The easiest way to clear your HD is to  turn it off then on again. So go to your local store and buy one of those gadgets that plug into your power source and has an on/off toggle switch that controls it..

Actually, all you have to do is got to the MENU => HELP? => IN HOME AGENT => REBOOT STB. No need to buy anything.

MoonPanda

My box just went up to 100% capacity with only around 10 hours of programming, so I thought it would just keep recording because the space was there, but it actually dumped an episode of Glee and also Kitchen Nightmares.  I was shocked by this, and came back to this thread to get the DVR reset codes again.

Seeing the new posts, I tried Keyboards' solution and it seems the quickest and easiest way to get the box on track again.  But I am pretty annoyed that the box is too dumb to realize the 100% was not real and actually started dumping shows!

It's probably not the same model, but back when I had a Motorola DVR from Comcast which looked very much the same, I did not have these issues.

0 Likes
Bogator
Enthusiast - Level 1

Keyboards reply definitely works. My box went from 75% used to 41% used. BTW, it does make a difference as to what the remaining capacity is showing whether it is correct or not. My box deleted shows to make room for new material based on the INCORRECT capacity, not the actual capacity.

0 Likes