HD DVR now drops sound during some commercials
jamesd3rd1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really don't get what's going on with Verizon FIOS these days.  Are these glitches the result of their firmware updates?  My DVR used to lose audio at random times on random channels (not all of them HD) for no apparent reason.

Now it seems to be happening more with some commercials on different channels.  It doesn't happen with all commercials though.  For example, I was watching a playback of 'Criminal Minds' and the show was fine but audio would drop during a couple commercials then come back for maybe one them drop again for another.  After the break, the audio was fien during the show.

This also happens when I watch shows on VOD.  When the they break, typically a promo with run for about 15-30 secs.  During that whole time there is no sound.  When the show returns things are fine.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't care too much since for now it only seems to affect commercials but there are times I'd like to hear a movie trailer or something or and update promo for a show I like to watch.

C'mon Verizon, can you help us out here?  What's going on?  What are you people doing?  When I first started with FIOS a few years ago everything was fine.  Why do they have to keep messing things up?

0 Likes
Re: HD DVR now drops sound during some commercials
jsvecchi

The sound on my TV will go out randomly also, not just commercial.  It will not turn back on unless I change channels, or I have found that if I hit the rewind button, it will come back on.  I have a new TV (Vizio) since December.  I did not have this problem with Comcast, which I change from in March.  I got a new box sent to me already, but it still happens, about once a day.

0 Likes
jamesd3rd1
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jsvecchi wrote:

The sound on my TV will go out randomly also, not just commercial.  It will not turn back on unless I change channels, or I have found that if I hit the rewind button, it will come back on.  I have a new TV (Vizio) since December.  I did not have this problem with Comcast, which I change from in March.  I got a new box sent to me already, but it still happens, about once a day.

It's got to be a Verizon system issue but all they want to do is either reboot or reset the box.  I've had two boxes do the same thing.  They should know by now that solves nothing.  There is something embedded in the digital data that is causing this.  Maybe it's the compression algorithm or something but it's really annoying.  When I first started using FIOS this didn't happen.  But that DVR went south are a couple years.  It was only after I got my second box that this started happening.  And now I have my third and it does the same thing.

They can't seem to get a handle on it and in my opinion, they aren't taking it very seriously.  They want to dismiss it as a HDMI handshaking problem but I'm not using HDMI nor does my A/V receiver support an HDMI connection.  So oblviously they have no answer for that one since it's not in their little 3-ring binder of troubleshooting steps.  They need to start thinking outside the proverbial box.  No pun intended.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

edit ----  intentionally left blank  wrong thread

0 Likes
afgreg

@jsvecchi

I have the same issues anytime I watch something VOD or from the DVR.  I stop and no sound when I exit.  I have also had no sound changing channels.  I have changed HDMI cables, changed HDMI inputs and had Verizon send a new box.  One week ago I had direct tv and no sound issues.  Also have a Vizio TV.

What box do you have, the QIP 7216?  This is  the box I have and I am about to ask for the QIP 7232 or FIOS TV is going.

0 Likes
afgreg

I tried this

Power off the Set top box.

Hit Select

Hit Menu

You will see a white screen and an all text menu called USER SETTINGS.  Use the arrow keys to move around.

Scroll down to a line that says "ADDITIONAL HDMI SETTINGS" and hit a right arrow to get into the next level of the menu

There is a sound setting called AUDIO OUTPUT It says AUTO  Scroll to it and change it to L-PCM.

Exit out of the menus, power the unit off and power it on again.

0 Likes