How to stop recording multiple airings of the same episode.
FIOSConfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do you stop a show's episode from recording multiple times like when USA Network or TNT rebroadcast the same show several times during the week? I have tried the duplicates option with both yes and no but it does not seem to make a difference. Ideally, I would like to select New and Repeat shows, but not get duplicate episodes if they air within the week or two.

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How to stop recording multiple airings of the same episode.
RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

When you record a series select "with options."  Then scroll down and choose  "no duplicates" or something like that.  You can also set this feature as a default (It should be) by going to Settings, DVR.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Menu>>Settings>>System>>DVR>>Default Series Options>>Episodes to Record>>First Run Only

Been working for me.

0 Likes
RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Tom, Selecting First Run may indeed prevent duplicates,  but if you want to be able to record  older episodes and not get multiple versions of the same show, the other option I tried to convey is what you want.  Ideally, it would be great if the software maintained a database of  what episodes you've recorded in the past so it doesn't record the same show again in the future after you've watched and deleted that episode.

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your right Jim, I ALSO have this set up:

Menu>>Settings>>System>>DVR>>Default Series Options>>Record Duplicate shows>>NO

RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

That's it!  Man LOL

0 Likes
FIOSConfused
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Jim: First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to try and help me. That being said, the NO Duplicates option is what I have used, but it does not appear to work. Also, as far as maintaining a database of shows watched, they do - you can go to MANAGE DELETIONS and see what has been deleted. Just not sure how long they maintain the history. But ideally, on an episode basis, they should check that file to determine whether or not to "rerecord" an episode.

The problem seems to be intermittent - in that there are many times I have to go to delete a show I just watched that week, but then there are times when I have two shows scheduled to record and a conflicting third show that airs it's episodes multiple toimes in the week and the DVR does not schedule one of the future airings to record. It just leaves the yellow triangle icon indicating the show in conflict will not be recorded.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

I've had this problem.  When recording "First Run Only" the later airings are considered repeats  so they won't be recorded.  Only option I think is to change setting to "First Run and Repeats" with Duplicates turned off.  Then of course you'll get repeat episodes that you've already watched and deleted.  This software is just not smart enough - or at least the programmers aren't keyed in to real world situations.

0 Likes
Acronin
Enthusiast - Level 1
In the series recording options, try limiting to the selected time and selected channel. This has worked for me .