I messed up the picture resolution on TV
mtate14
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was going into Menu>Audio & Video>Video settings and I played around with the video format.  Without even saving anything, my picture now has about 4" of black on the sides and 2" of black on the top and bottom.

Can anyone please help me reset it to the previous settings

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I messed up the picture resolution on TV
mtate14
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turned out to be the box.  I switched the box with another box of the same model and it worked; I now have full HD.  I was able to eliminate the TV as the problem, and the HDMI cord as the problem, I switched boxes from a tv with another room and immediately came up as 1080.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

THIS IS MY SET UP

Menu>>Settings>>Audio Video>>Video Settings>>Video Format>>1080i  16:9

Note that some programs will not be "full screen" because they are not transmitting in that format.

0 Likes
IAmTheD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

This just happened to me as well!

I changed the setting to 1080p and without even clicking "Continue" at the Warning to keep the settings, I completely lost the HD picture. I clicked Cancel, but it didn't matter. I'll be following this to see if there is a solution.

Edit - No matter what I do, whether I put it on 1080i or 1080p or even 720, my picutre output is 480. The Vizio TV even displays the signal it's receiving. The FIOS setting still says 1080 but doesn't push the signal out.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

The video format should be 1080i or 1080p 16:9 ratio depending on your STB. The SD override should be set to stretch. The TV type is 16:9 and the Graphics Settings are HD. Your might also have to adjust your TVs picture size.

0 Likes
IAmTheD1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The settings all match. Once we went to the 1080p setting the actual signal went to 480. No matter what, the settings were. They're currently matching exactly what you suggested.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@IAmTheD wrote:

The settings all match. Once we went to the 1080p setting the actual signal went to 480. No matter what, the settings were. They're currently matching exactly what you suggested.

Sounds like you have to adjust the TVs settings if the settings are correct in the cable box.

0 Likes
mtate14
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up having to switch my settings on the TV to wide to stretch the picture out but my TV still says the picture is 480p.

My cable box setting is on 1080p which my TV is rated at

My TV is a E480-B2

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

What is your TVs resolution set to in the settings?

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
Perhaps the model no. Of his tv is the clue to his INHERENT tv resolution.
Might be stuck with 480
0 Likes
mtate14
Enthusiast - Level 2

It turned out to be the box.  I switched the box with another box of the same model and it worked; I now have full HD.  I was able to eliminate the TV as the problem, and the HDMI cord as the problem, I switched boxes from a tv with another room and immediately came up as 1080.

0 Likes