IMO after 12hr Tivo Premier Trial. Tivo and Verizon side by side.
prisaz
Legend

Over the last year I have been a big Tivo fan and I still like my Tivo HD. BUT.............. Tivo Premier?????

Based on some of the things I have seen and heard. Verizon DVR with 1.9 img WILL beat the TiVO in many areas. If they get the guide right. The guide is one of, if not the biggest issues now. I have the TiVO Premier as of today and found the Cable Cards are portable as thought. I may wait for my second cable card to network the old with the new if it works, but with the Verizon img 1.9, I think it may just kick TiVOs bottom. I like some of the features of both. Shame we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Considering sending my Tivo Premier Back to Tivo.After 1st night's trial! Good News For Verizon! May cancel my second cable card order.

#1 The HD guide is nothing more than the SD Guide in HD format. Meaning no more data than the SD Guide.

#2 or #1 The HD Guide does not permit ANY parental controls and the box tells you, you must switch the DVR Back to SD for parental controls. WHAT A JOKE. Joke's on me!

#3 Tivo Premier all hype and no guts. Verizon's new DVR with img 1.9 will have all the hype and the guts to back it up. Kudos to Verizon!

#4 There are some advantages with Tivo, such as transferring content, but as new software and features are released content should become more portable with the Verizon DVR. Flex view needs work, and should offer more than what you buy on VOD. Recorded shows should be transferable to portable devices.

Overall I am not impressed with my $200 purchase and will be looking at a RMA for a credit on my purchase. I will keep my existing Tivo HD for now, but my new Tivo Premier is not all what it is promoted to be. I am not bashing another companies product, and like the product, but I am just posting my own personal opinion.

UPDATE:

TIVO Premier RMA in hand and TIVO is going back. My next upgrade will be a newer Verizon DVR.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IMO after 12hr Tivo Premier Trial. Tivo and Verizon side by side.
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello prisaz,

Thank you very much for the comments on our products and services!

Thanks,

Shamika_VZ

Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Shamika_VZ
Contributor - Level 3
Hello prisaz,

Thank you very much for the comments on our products and services!

Thanks,

Shamika_VZ

Verizon Support

Notice: Content posted by Verizon employees is meant to be informational and does not supersede or change the Verizon Forums User Guidelines or Terms or Service, or your Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions or Plan.

0 Likes
brennok76
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

Over the last year I have been a big Tivo fan and I still like my Tivo HD. BUT.............. Tivo Premier?????

Based on some of the things I have seen and heard. Verizon DVR with 1.9 img WILL beat the TiVO in many areas. If they get the guide right. The guide is one of, if not the biggest issues now. I have the TiVO Premier as of today and found the Cable Cards are portable as thought. I may wait for my second cable card to network the old with the new if it works, but with the Verizon img 1.9, I think it may just kick TiVOs bottom. I like some of the features of both. Shame we can't have our cake and eat it too.

Considering sending my Tivo Premier Back to Tivo.After 1st night's trial! Good News For Verizon! May cancel my second cable card order.

#1 The HD guide is nothing more than the SD Guide in HD format. Meaning no more data than the SD Guide.

#2 or #1 The HD Guide does not permit ANY parental controls and the box tells you, you must switch the DVR Back to SD for parental controls. WHAT A JOKE. Joke's on me!

#3 Tivo Premier all hype and no guts. Verizon's new DVR with img 1.9 will have all the hype and the guts to back it up. Kudos to Verizon!

#4 There are some advantages with Tivo, such as transferring content, but as new software and features are released content should become more portable with the Verizon DVR. Flex view needs work, and should offer more than what you buy on VOD. Recorded shows should be transferable to portable devices.

Overall I am not impressed with my $200 purchase and will be looking at a RMA for a credit on my purchase. I will keep my existing Tivo HD for now, but my new Tivo Premier is not all what it is promoted to be. I am not bashing another companies product, and like the product, but I am just posting my own personal opinion.

UPDATE:

TIVO Premier RMA in hand and TIVO is going back. My next upgrade will be a newer Verizon DVR.

First off it is Premiere, not Premier.

The current guide is the original guide. It hasn't been updated to HD yet so it hasn't added any additional functionality. If you want to see what the new guide may look like look at the Virgin UK TiVo.

I guess if you can justify paying $200+ a year for the FiOS DVR more power to you. I am happy with my $400 Premiere with lifetime which only costs me $50 a year for a CableCARD. Also while I paid more upfront, I own the product so I can always resell it. I bought my TiVo HD with lifetime for $550 and sold it for $500 2 years later to upgrade to the Premiere. With the FiOS DVR I would have been out $400 and nothing to show for my money. It just isn't the logical choice to me.

I also don't see the big deal about VOD. When I played with VOD, you couldn't FF or REW every show, not to mention every show wasn't available. I have created my own VOD library by just recording everything that sounds interesting and saving it to my computer to watch when I have time. This combined with Netflix I have more than I could ever watch.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I am glad you like your TiVO. I liked mine but everyone has their preference. Excuse the misspelling. Been asking for auto shell check.

The Tivo does advertise the HD guide which is almost the same as the SD guide. Now if it was not provided in HD, why would the box tell you you must switch to SD to use parental controls. I agree that the guide format itself would not be the one that is going to be possibly in the next software update or something. But I would have something to say if Verizon was to tell me spend $200 on the latest DVR and we may have something you like in our next update. For me I just saw no advantage. Personal preference, and I have had no issues with VOD.

Now my main reason for Tivo 18 months ago was the small 160gig drives and slow DVR. Now I have a 500 gig drive and the latest processor in the new QIP-7232. It all comes down to personal preference. I could not see value in my $200 purchase ah $12.95 a month and $3.99 for the cable card. With many issues that may come up with Verizon's IPTV delivery system when it is launched. It will be launched at some point. AT&T Uverse does not support Tivo at all with their IPTV. It will be interesting to see what Verizon does.

Finally if you have a good investment in Tivo, then fine enjoy it. I was expressing my opinion and my preference. Want to buy a Tivo HD with a 1TB drive installed? I have one on the shelf.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I don't see a lot of need for the Tivo's anymore

now that you can get a DVR from Verizon and have the 1tb expansion with a clean fast running 7232.    The 7232 with 1.9 software is truly the way to go.  Especially if you need multi room viewing.   In order to get multi room out of the tivo units, you have to have tivo units in each room, and not every shopper or customer out there is willing or able to spend that much upfront on Tivo equipment.  It's a fine box, a polished interface, but the new 1.9 interface blows it out of the water for the most part

with Tivo you have a massive upfront investment, plus a monthly fee of about 16 bux a month comparable to the cost of a Verizon DVR, or you can add another upfront investment for a lifetime subscription.  

If you want the multi-room functionality to work, you have to multiply that upfront investment times the amount of rooms that you want.    

Not everyone can do that, or wants to do that.      

The 7232 or 7216 with 1 TB expansion and the 1.9 will be future proof, as prisaz pointed out, and is a no hassle no fuss solution tailored for the masses.  The only way I can see justifying a tivo at this point, is if I wanted to further off load my copied content to another PC, or upload it to the NET for back up purposes   😉

brennok76
Contributor - Level 1

@prisaz wrote:

I am glad you like your TiVO. I liked mine but everyone has their preference. Excuse the misspelling. Been asking for auto shell check.

The Tivo does advertise the HD guide which is almost the same as the SD guide. Now if it was not provided in HD, why would the box tell you you must switch to SD to use parental controls. I agree that the guide format itself would not be the one that is going to be possibly in the next software update or something. But I would have something to say if Verizon was to tell me spend $200 on the latest DVR and we may have something you like in our next update. For me I just saw no advantage. Personal preference, and I have had no issues with VOD.

Now my main reason for Tivo 18 months ago was the small 160gig drives and slow DVR. Now I have a 500 gig drive and the latest processor in the new QIP-7232. It all comes down to personal preference. I could not see value in my $200 purchase ah $12.95 a month and $3.99 for the cable card. With many issues that may come up with Verizon's IPTV delivery system when it is launched. It will be launched at some point. AT&T Uverse does not support Tivo at all with their IPTV. It will be interesting to see what Verizon does.

Finally if you have a good investment in Tivo, then fine enjoy it. I was expressing my opinion and my preference. Want to buy a Tivo HD with a 1TB drive installed? I have one on the shelf.

I would love to see where you saw advertisements for the HD Guide. All the advertisements I have seen say HD interface optimized for search and discovery with no mention of the guide. There hasn't been a single picture of it either unless you include pictures we have seen of the Virgin UK TiVo UI. Of course there is no guarantee this is what the final TiVo version will look like. Verizon is asking you exactly that. It costs $200 a year and that isn't even the whole home model. There is no guarantee they will add anything you will like in the next update.

I wouldn't see value in that purchase either, but I would never pay monthly when they have a lifetime option. At 18 months you have paid $234 or $65 short of the lifetime plan which would only cost $3.99 a month for the CableCARD.  With Verizon you would have paid $288 for the HD DVR or $360 for the whole home DVR.

I am not concerned about IPTV because as slow as Verizon is to add HD channels, we will probably be done with CableCARD and into AllVid.

The big difference for me is TiVo holds some value rather than paying monthly and having nothing to show for it. I am not attacking your decision or your opinion. I just don't get it, but then the thought of renting equipment to access a service I already pay seperately for has never made sense to me. I only rent CableCARDs because I have to since Verizon won't offer to sell them.

As far as things like the external drive support, I don't see the benefit and see more potential issues. Maybe Verizon has addressed them and maybe they have solutions in place, but I don't know. What happens when the drive fails? Do you lose all recordings or just the ones on the external drive? What happens when the DVR has issues and you replace it? Will the external drive still work with the new DVR and allow you to play back old recordings or will those be useless now requiring you to format?

0 Likes
brennok76
Contributor - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

If you want the multi-room functionality to work, you have to multiply that upfront investment times the amount of rooms that you want.    

I addressed some of the potential issues you may see with the external drive solution above.

I wanted to touch on this point though. Actually this isn't true at all especially with Verizon and the copy freely flag.

All of my TiVo recordings are automatically transferred to my server after being automatically converted to MPG files. I can play those shows in any room on any device that can access a PC and play MPG files which includes things like the 360. MPG is a quick conversion, about 5 mins per hour HD show, but you can convert them to any format you want depending on how long you are willing to let it run.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

brennok76

You have some very good points. But I just can't afford six Tivos. I have a Home Media DVR bundle which gives me a discount on the rental of the other 4 HD boxes, I can stream from the HMDVR to any of the HD boxes and I do not own any of it. 4 months after my Tivo HD was purchase I was told that I could send it back to them to have the crashed drive replaced for $60. I at that point I said the warranty was a was a Joke and voided it by installing a new 1TB drive to replace the SMALL drive it came with. Now if a Verizon box crashes I just give it back for a replacement. It all comes down to preference, initial cost, and responsibility of ownership. If I don't like a box I take it back to Verizon and no more cost. So there are pros and cons. So I did not take your post or posts as an attack on my preferences or opinion. Thank you for the dialog.

So enjoy what ever pleases you. But I have seen some of the new screen shots and know of what the new Verizon DVR software will do, and it will be out soon. How soon I can not say. But it will have some surprising features. I have been keeping up with the testing and feature set to be released, some of which perhaps have not even been released to the testers. I know there is more than what was released on the Sneak Peek notes. Read this thread for comments made by Joe_Ambeault. More detailed release notes will be posted the week when the public release starts.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/IMG-1-9-release-notes-feature-list-availa...

0 Likes