Lip Sync Issue With FIOS STB
The_Chemist
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I am new here.  I am hoping someone can help with an issue that I am having.

I just recently purchased an A/V receiver.  When using the supplied Motorola Set Top Box via HDMI with my receiver I have a severe lip sync problem.

I actually tried 3 different receivers (an Onkyo TX-NR515, Onkyo TX-NR717 and Denon AVR3313ci).  All had this issue.

When plugging the STB directly into my Vizio E422VLE TV via HDMI, I get almost perfect lip sync.

When using the receiver on HD channels the audio is delayed after the video.  On SD channels the audio precedes the video.

I have searched these forums and did not find any similar issues.

It is to the point where I don't even want to watch TV because it is so bad.

Is there a compatibility issue with the supplied Motorola STB?

The receiver that I currently am using, a Denon AVR3313ci, maxes out at 200 ms audio delay so I can't even at least correct the problem on HD channels.

I would appreciate any and all help or suggestions!

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lip Sync Issue With FIOS STB
Hubrisnxs
Legend

A lot of users have A/V receivers and do not have this problem.  There might be an issue with how your receiver interacts with the set top box, but there are some hidden audio settings.  

Try to access them by having your tv and set top box ON

Then use one hand to power OFF the receiver, and the other hand on the remote and hit OK once and then menu once.

I do them about 1/2 second apart

So power 1/2 second OK 1/2 second menu

Once you're in then you click on additional HDMI options, and then look for AUDIO and try switching it to pass through. 

Try it out and see if pass through works.  you just hit power to get out of that menu. 

if passthrough doesn't work, then go back in and choose L PCM

Don't forget that you played with the delay settings on your receiver when trying to fix the lip sync issue before, so you may have to reset those settings to default, and then adjust them if needed.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

A lot of users have A/V receivers and do not have this problem.  There might be an issue with how your receiver interacts with the set top box, but there are some hidden audio settings.  

Try to access them by having your tv and set top box ON

Then use one hand to power OFF the receiver, and the other hand on the remote and hit OK once and then menu once.

I do them about 1/2 second apart

So power 1/2 second OK 1/2 second menu

Once you're in then you click on additional HDMI options, and then look for AUDIO and try switching it to pass through. 

Try it out and see if pass through works.  you just hit power to get out of that menu. 

if passthrough doesn't work, then go back in and choose L PCM

Don't forget that you played with the delay settings on your receiver when trying to fix the lip sync issue before, so you may have to reset those settings to default, and then adjust them if needed.

The_Chemist
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much!

I'll try that when I get home from work tonight.

I'll keep you posted as to whether or not that solves the issue!

I appreciate your time and reply.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

fyi, i meant power off the cable box,  not power off your AV receiver.   the way i worded it, could have been confusing.   :]

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your method solved my problem.  I was able to send audio to the AVR as passthrough and turn off the lip sync function on the STB

Many thanks to you!

Best Regards.

Hubrisnxs
Legend
Glad to help! :]
0 Likes
The_Chemist
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to re-visit this issue:

I'm finding that I need to  continually keep making adjustments to audio delay on my receiver to keep the lip sync perfect.

I have tried re-enabling auto lip sync on the STB but no luck.  The receiver has auto lip sync as well, I've tried that enabled and disabled.  I just can't keep it perfect.  

I can have the lip sync normal, then next time I turn the system on hours later the lip sync has changed.  I'm pretty sure this is not the fault of the receiver.  Maybe the STB is defective or just outdated.

The STB is a Motorola HD QIP 7100 1

Anyone have any clue?

Thanks

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

have you tried both pass through and l pcm?

if so it's possible that it's either the cable itself (steal another hdmi in the house and try it) 

it's the STB  you would need another working set top box from in the house to test that.  take one from another room and hook it up

or it's the receiver if the two things above do not fix it.  You can search the www.avforums.com for people with similiar issues with that reeiver.  maybe a firmware upgrade.

quick fix might be to hook up a TOS LINK or a optical audio cable between the receiver and the set top box.   you can pick one up pretty cheap at www.monoprice.com or amazon.com

0 Likes
The_Chemist
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will try all of your suggestions.  Thanks.

My HDMI cables are from Monoprice.  I did try swapping one out with a Philips, it made no difference.  

I did try L PCM as well, but that's only stereo 2CH.  

This Denon AVR3313ci receiver may have video issues.  I just noticed when watching the "Food Network", that if they are showing a shot of a plate of food then switch to a face shot, the video changes to the new scene then stutters back for just a fraction of a second to the previous shot.  

If I switch off the receiver and use the video pass through straight to the TV, that does not occur.

I'm hoping my TV is up to the task here as well.  It is a Vizio E422VLE 1080P, 120 Hz with a 5 ms response time.  My older TV is a Panasonic 50" 720P plasma.  

I do have an optical digital cable.  I'm using it to take the TV out to the receiver for use ONLY when I watch Netflix, since the TV has an app for that.  My older Roku box does not do Dolby 5.1 on Netflix.  My TV will put out Dolby 5.1 via TOS LINK.  I'll use the cable to connect the STB to the receiver and see if that audio is in sync.  Using the TV Netflix app, I'm finding that the audio is a fraction of a second out of sync.

I thought this home theatre stuff was going to be enjoyable, but nothing but issues so far.  

Thanks

0 Likes