Long Cable run
johnsmith511

I have a 475 run of Coax, i had a powered amp on the line but then took it off becasue I wasn't getting the guide or VOD or widgets. I can this cable myself and put twist conectors on, i am not getting the guide but more then half the channels are not coming in, i get the this channel is not available at this time message... how can i fix this issue?

0 Likes
Re: Long Cable run
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

In order to get full functionality you will need to have Verizon supply a MoCA compatible amplifier to handle your 400+ foot coax (lots of loss).  A standard cable amplifier (even one labeled as "bi-directional") will not fully work.  It will get rid of your CHANNEL NOT AVAILABABLE (otherwise kown as insufficient signal strength in your case) but you will not have guide or VOD.  These are accomplished using MoCA (multi-media over coax) which operates in the 1+ GHz range.  Your cable amp is bi-directional only BELOW 50 MHz and win't pass the MoCA signals.

I would also suggest using compression fittings for the connectors - not twist-on or the old hex-crimp type.  Hopefully your run is RG-6 (at a minimum), RG-11 would be better and RG-59 totally unacceptable.

Just an FYI - RG-6 has a 6.1 dB per 100 ft. loss @ 1 GHz.  That means that your almost 500 ft. run has a 30 dB loss in the MoCA range.  There is a table HERE to see the loss at various frequencies.

Re: Long Cable run
shiner237

You can try placing a low pass filter out of the near end amp for that run.  This filters the moca data from that run.  Then run cat5e from the router to a moca bridge (ecb) connected to a splitter at the far end of the long run.  Google ‘cat5 distance limitations’ to see solutions for long runs.  This creates 2 separate moca networks and should solve your guide/vod issues.

Here is a related article as well> http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/fios-amplifier-or-ethernet/td-p/220944

0 Likes