Media Manager Video Support needed
Dman19709
Enthusiast - Level 1

With technology changing daily why can't we watch higher quality homemade videos on the tv?

I use sony vegas to make home movies. Instead of making dvd's, and since I have media manager so I can view photos and videos from my computer to my tv, I figured I could create a library of home videos with easy access. I'm figuring that dvd and blue rays will become a thing from the past and external storage is price just right with quick retrieval.

The problem, Verizon media manager  won't accept MPEG 2 files and if I'm correct is a dvd quality file.

Why can't media manager accept this file?

Or

Do you have a better suggestion?

Re: Media Manager Video Support needed
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Media Manager FAQ

Q: Verizon Media Manager 3.0 is not able to scan my .MPEG files. Why not and what should I do?

A: This is a known issue. Please rename your .MPEG files to .MPG and rescan your files/folders

I think if you do that it will help.  I wonder if you can rename an mpg2 and it will still take it?  

A: Verizon Media Manager supports the following file formats:
For Photos, Verizon Media Manager supports JPG/JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP.
Note: The default scan setting will only import photos in the JPG format and greater than 10 KB. You can change these settings in Tools > Settings > Scanning.

For Music, Verizon Media Manager supports MP3, WAV, WMA and M4A (unprotected AAC).
Note: The default scan setting will not scan files in the WAV format and files shorter than 7 seconds. You can change these settings in Tools > Settings > Scanning.

Important Note: Some supported video files may not be playable because the codec used to create the video is not supported. A codec encodes a data for transmission, storage or encryption, or decodes it for playback or editing. Supported Video Codecs in AVI/MP4 files: MJPG, M4S2, XVID, DIVX, WMV, MPG, FLV1, VP6F, and MP42.
Supported Audio Codecs in AVI/MP4 files: wma, qcelp, raw-pcm, mp3, m4a, mpga, and adpcm.
For Video, Verizon Media Manager supports AVI, WMV, FLV, 3GP/3G2, MPG (non-MPEG2 videos), MP4/M4V (non-H.264 videos).

Note: The default scan setting will not scan files in the 3GP/3G2 format and files shorter than 3 seconds. You can change these settings in Tools > Settings > Scanning. 

So I didn't see that "important note" until after I posted the original thing, so I guess it doesn't do MPEG2 and you'll have to convert it.  

0 Likes
Re: Media Manager Video Support needed
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

The question is still relavant.

It's not like we are asking for obscure video codecs like Intel's Indeo.

We're talking MPEG2.. the DVD standard.

I've taken many DV renders from my camcorder and transcoded them into countless formats and few of them want to display in Meada Manager, the only one I got that maintained the correct aspect ratio was ffmpeg (mpeg-4). Even Divx and Xvid isn't working for me. MPEG2 would just be so much simpler.