Multi-Room DVR & STBs
knelson830

I have searched for this and can't find an answer so new message.

1) Can I put two multi-Room DVRs on my home network. If no, are there any plans to expand this capability to more than 1?

2) I have 4 HD STBs which includes 1 multi-room DVR. I would like to add 2 more HD STBs, 1 of which will be either a DVR or a multi-room, depending on the answer to 1) above. Are there any restrictions to this qty of STBs, particularly HD caliber?

0 Likes
Re: Multi-Room DVR & STBs
Hubrisnxs
Legend

1)   you can't do that today, but there are plans to expand that technology -  from what I heard it's the moca technology standard that is the hinderence, and when the new moca upgrades come out then that will make it so that VZ can do more than 1 Multi room.

2) you can have a total of 7 moca devices (hd boxes are moca devices) 

You can add more DCT 700's (standard definition converter boxes) or more HD boxes with a supervisor approval (they have to add a whole 2nd box outside called an ont)     

RE: all these cable boxes and Multiroom, you can add upto the max number of cable boxes, but only three can watch a recorded program at the same time.  

0 Likes
Weekender
Enthusiast - Level 3

Note that you will not be able to access your multi-room DVR from another DVR box.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

2) you can have a total of 7 moca devices (hd boxes are moca devices) 

You can add more DCT 700's (standard definition converter boxes) or more HD boxes with a supervisor approval (they have to add a whole 2nd box outside called an ont)     

*Wouldn't let me edit my post, I Wanted to make this part more clear.

What I meant to say here is that you can have 7 moca devices

what is a moca device?

Any standard set top box that has the time display is considered a moca device

The DCT 700  is a digital converter box, it gets all your channels in SD but it's NOT a moca device, so you can have any number of those usually or cable cards (cable cards are usually used with TivO)

If you wanted to get more HD boxes, or even standard def boxes that are moca devices, meaning they have the time clock, they can get the menu guide and widgets and VOD - then that is when you have the 7 limit, or if you wanted more than that you can talk about a supervisor approval to install a 2nd outside box called an ONT.

hopefully that made more sense that how I worded it before.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

this may help or it may muddy the issue but I just wanted to add this...

Verizon has a limit of 12 video connections + 1 router.

7 can be full functional STB's (SD box, HD box, HD DVR/MRDVR) (limit one MRDVR)

The additional 5 units can only be Cable Cards or Digital Adaptors (no interactive systems)

Anything more than this requires a 2nd ONT. BUT  if you do manage to get a 2nd ONT (very difficult to do), Any MRDVR setup on the first ONT will be unable to connect with a STB on the second ONT (Consider the 2nd ont a completely different house)

As for additional MRDVR's in the same system, They are working on that but it doesnt look like it is going to happen anytime in the near future. The first thing they are working on is the ability for the one MRDVR to be able to talk to other DVR's. Once that happens then they will try expanding it to have more than one MRDVR in the system.

0 Likes