On TV Caller Id- Again
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

If I can be indulged one more time, I posted this yesterday on the Home Phone board and this board, but someone in an effort to keep things tidy removed it from the home phone board (I got a private message telling me so).  I got a reply, apparantly, from someone on the phone board, and short reply to same on the TV tech board to look at the other post, which since I can't get that anymore, I have recieved no help at all.

Sigh....

Anyway,

I have FiOS TV along with Verizon phone service, including Caller ID.  A few months back they activated in my area the on TV screen Caller ID popup.  I activated it and for a while it was working fine, but now for quite a while it has not been working at all.

I also have Call Assistant, which from what I understand is required to use the on-screen ID service.  It was also not working, at least with the PC client download, but since installing the upgraded software (which now seems to work properly) that is not an issue, but the on-screen problem is. 

I tried rebooting my set-top box, but that had no effect.  I had called the VCA support line, which proved to be worthless.   Has anyone else had such problems, and if so, who did you contact to rectify the situation?  Any input would be welcome, thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: On TV Caller Id- Again
hokie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon techs told me there have been some sync problems with Call Assistant and CallerID on the STB.

They got mine working by resetting the CallerID display:

Menu>Settings>CallerID>Alert Display

Change setting from Enabled to Disable, then change back to Enabled again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
hokie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon techs told me there have been some sync problems with Call Assistant and CallerID on the STB.

They got mine working by resetting the CallerID display:

Menu>Settings>CallerID>Alert Display

Change setting from Enabled to Disable, then change back to Enabled again.

0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I have now done that, it says it can take 24-48 hours to activate, so I am waiting to see what happens.

0 Likes
TR-Tim
Enthusiast - Level 3

That worked!  Thanks

0 Likes
RBorden629

Very odd, I have the caller ID on my STB in the bedroom. But the STB in my livingroom there is not even an Caller ID option under the menu.

The Caller Id works in the bedroom only,

BTW I have two HD DVRs .

Thanks For any help.

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Stombreeze

I have the same problem -- caller id works on two tvs (not with a DVR) and does NOT work on my tv with a DVR.

What is the solution?

Thanks

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Stombreeze wrote:

I have the same problem -- caller id works on two tvs (not with a DVR) and does NOT work on my tv with a DVR.

What is the solution?

Thanks

Don't know for sure what the solution is. But if I were you, and assuming you have not done the following, I would:

1) Verify that the DVR is online to the router: Menu ==> Settings ==> System Information ==> and verify that the Network Status is Online. If not, you need to fix that first (reboot DVR, reboot router, maybe multiple times and see if that gets it online).

2) If the DVR is online, I would reboot the DVR: Menu ==> Help ==> In-Home Agent ==> Reboot STB ==> then check again to see if you have the Caller ID option.

As someone said before, if you already have the Caller ID option showing on the DVR but it is not working, try disabling the Alert Display and then re-enabling it, that fixed my DVR the one time it has failed in 6-7 months.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, maybe somebody else can give some additional suggestions.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
charliebarrett
Contributor - Level 2

My Caller ID on TV was working a few weeks ago... Suddenly I noticed it's not working anymore.

* Verified my VCA is still activated in my Phone plan.

* Rebooted DVR's, made sure the status says online

* Disabled / re-enabled Caller ID on the DVR;s two weeks ago - still not working.

Is there a hidden di\agnostic for this service?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Charlie,

I have had Caller ID on my TV working for around 8 - 10 months. It generally works flawlessly, but on two or three occasions it has quit. I think but am not sure that the failures occur after an update or reset is done to my STBs by Verizon. What seems to work for me is:

1) Using the Help In-Home Agent option in the STB, reboot the STB (I do this on each of the STBs before doing anything else).

2) Using the Menu on the router, reboot the router.

Almost immediately my Caller ID is working again (I test using my cell phone to call home). I believe the reason it sometimes quits working is that when the STB is reset it may get a different IP Address from the router when it restarts, and now the IP in the rule in the router does not match the new IP address the STB has gotten. Going through the little ritual seems to fix that (and maybe the only thing really needed is to re-boot the router, next time I have a failure I am going to do that first and see if it fixes it).

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
charliebarrett
Contributor - Level 2

Well, about a week ago, my Caller ID started working again, in both rooms!

Strange - I didn't do anything after I posted my last message. Maybe it took longer than a few days for Verizon to get it turned on after I disabled and re-enabled it, or maybe something rebooted by itself. In any case, it works good now!.

0 Likes