Philadelphia Packet Loss for FIOS Internet
DP-Philly

Has anyone noticed period packet loss in the Philadelphia region?  I can ping the first hop in the FIOS network very consistently, but get periodic packet loss pinging the second hop.  I noticed this because my VOIP cuts out intermittently now and my VPN also will drop as well.  Its not severe enough to notice with non realtime apps, but is a huge issue for VOIP.  I tested from a house across town and they are seeing the same issue...everything point to an issue on the backbone.

Here is the first hop router:

Ping statistics for 98.114.xxx.x:
    Packets: Sent = 7596, Received = 7596, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum = 1632ms, Average = 6ms

Here is the second hop router:

Ping statistics for 130.81.105.246:
    Packets: Sent = 7562, Received = 7555, Lost = 7 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 6ms, Maximum = 4188ms, Average = 7ms

0 Likes
Re: Philadelphia Packet Loss for FIOS Internet
GoBlando
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I am experiencing up here in the NE NJ.  I lose connectivity for about 3-15 seconds.  I thought I was going crazy, but all my RDC, VPN sessions are getting disconnected.

I have a ping on google now, but I can't seem to figure out what kind of traffic causes the stop.  Happens for all computers and even after a fresh reboot of the router.  If it is occuring at the second hop for you, then I have a feeling this is a Verizon issue, and who knows when it will be fixed.  It started for me around the time of your first post.

0 Likes
DP-Philly

Can you send a traceroute to google?  Also, can you perform the same test I did?  IE: Have a continuou ping going toward the first hop and one also going toward the second?  If the second fails, while the first succeeds, the issue is inside of VZ.  I'm hopeful that if enough people raise a ticket they will take a look...

thanks!

0 Likes
GoBlando
Enthusiast - Level 2

exact same problem.

Continuous ping to 74.105.102.1 (First Hop) works

Continuous ping to 130.81.133.156 (Second Hop) fails for anywhere from 3 - 15 seconds at a pop.

So infuriating....

0 Likes
jwaldrop1
Enthusiast - Level 1

This issue could be the first hop (and not inside verizon), even if the second hop fails. The first hop may not be passing packets through to or from the network and that is why it could look like the second hop is failing. To determine if the issue is inside verizon, use this packet loss tool. It will monitor your connection and all the verizon hops leading to it for up to 7 days.

0 Likes