Picture but no sound - Arris VMS1100 to Onkyo Receiver to LG HDTV
grotzpa

I switched to FiOS a couple weeks ago due to being extremely happy with the service at my previous residence.

After the first couple days the volume on my Family room TV seems to be extremely glitchy.  Here is my setup:

FiOS DVR = Arris VMS1100

AV Receiver = Onkyo TX-NR818

TV = LG LX9500

All connections are via HDMI, and everything is controlled via a Logitech Harmony Ultimate universal remote.

When I turn everything on (regardless of the order - I have switched up the order the devices turn on), I get picture and no sound.  On every channel.  On recorded shows.  On SD and HD channels.  But ONLY on this TV.  Our other TVs don't seem to be affected by the issue.

This morning I went ahead and connected the Arris directly to the TV bypassing the Onkyo and I got sound.  Now I know enough about AV setups that this doesn't really say anything about the cause of the issue (could be with the Onkyo and could be with the Arris).

I was hoping that someone could guide me through troubleshooting the Arris, as I am not about to go out and get another AV Receiver if I don't have to.

Also note that the volume comes and goes.  After a while it will return, only to go away.  If I turn everything off and then back on again it seems to work, unless it doesn't.

0 Likes
Re: Picture but no sound - Arris VMS1100 to Onkyo Receiver to LG HDTV
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Usually the audio output from the HDMI is set to AUTO play around with the settings and try pass-through or L-PCM to see if that helps.

0 Likes
grotzpa

do you know how to go about doing that?  I don't see a setting in the menu where I can change anything from AUTO.

0 Likes
jfalk1
Enthusiast - Level 3

You have to set the Onkyo to HDMI-Through if you're using the TV speakers.  See page 75 of the Onkyo manual

0 Likes
grotzpa

i thought you meant a setting on the Arris.  I have my Onkyo setup to passthrough audio "as-is", i've never turned on processing on it.  As I stated in my OP, I haven't changed anything except swapping out the DTV box for FiOS.  This has to be a handshake issue, I just wish I could get it worked out.

I checked the settings menu and the only audio options are stereo, surround, and mono.  I'm pretty sure that i don't want the cable box to send through stereo or mono, so it's set to surround.

does anyone know of a "hidden" menu for the Arris and how to access it?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I never tried this on a VMS box but on my STB with the TV turned on I press stb power-OK button-Menu button  in order on my remote control and it takes me to the STB user settings. I then move down to Additional HDMI settings then to the audio output. This is where you can change from AUTO to pass-through or L-PCM.

0 Likes