Poor Information Screen
BJRJ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since FIOS changed the information and menue screen to a poor quality making it difficult to read. The screen is a washed out looking faded blue and the text lacks sufficient contrast.  Who in the world programmed this?  It really is a poor quality job not even up to the standards of Comcast or Cable TV.  I am surprised that this one has gone uncorrected by FIOS.

0 Likes
Re: Poor Information Screen
Justin46
Legend

@BJRJ wrote:

Since FIOS changed the information and menue screen to a poor quality making it difficult to read. The screen is a washed out looking faded blue and the text lacks sufficient contrast.  Who in the world programmed this?  It really is a poor quality job not even up to the standards of Comcast or Cable TV.  I am surprised that this one has gone uncorrected by FIOS.

What "Information Screen" are you referring to? I have not yet found any screen - Guide, Menu, info window at the bottom of the screen when I change channels, DVR, VOD, etc - that I find hard to read or poor quality in the 4 months I have had 1.9. In fact I find the new screens far better and more readable than those of 1.8.

My guess is that either:

1) You have 6xxx STBs, which cannot display the HD Guide and in general work pretty poorly with 1.9. The only fix for this is to get Verizon to upgrade the STBs to 7xxx boxes.

2) You have some video and/or TV setting wrong in the Menu.

"Who in the world programmed this?" Verizon FiOS STB programmers I guess. What difference does it make who did it?

Only one correction is needed in my opinion, the Info window duration needs to be reduced, or we need to be given an option to set the time. Other than that, great job IMO.

So, what screen are you unhappy with?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I have an HD DVR box in the living rooms and that guide is ok except when you are watching and press info the banner doesn't stay up long enough to read it, so I have to press the button 3 times sometimes to read the info.  But in the bedroom, we have a standard television and older STB -- like a 2416, which still works fine and for which I am charged about $12 per month.  It is almost impossible to read the guide on this screen, as the print is the same color as the back ground.  It also takes forever to scroll through the guide on the screen.  So why should I have to get a new box at a higher price just to read the guide?

I could get the brand new box in the living room and move the 7216 into the bedroom, but the new box has a $40 upgrade fee, a too-bright display (from what I have read), and no red record light on the display (which I find very convenient to know if recording).  So again, why should I go to all this hassle just to read the guide on my stb? Thanks.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

I have an HD DVR box in the living rooms and that guide is ok except when you are watching and press info the banner doesn't stay up long enough to read it, so I have to press the button 3 times sometimes to read the info.  But in the bedroom, we have a standard television and older STB -- like a 2416, which still works fine and for which I am charged about $12 per month.  It is almost impossible to read the guide on this screen, as the print is the same color as the back ground.  It also takes forever to scroll through the guide on the screen.  So why should I have to get a new box at a higher price just to read the guide?

I could get the brand new box in the living room and move the 7216 into the bedroom, but the new box has a $40 upgrade fee, a too-bright display (from what I have read), and no red record light on the display (which I find very convenient to know if recording).  So again, why should I go to all this hassle just to read the guide on my stb? Thanks.

I would be happy to try to help you, but you need to provide more detailed information.

1) There is no 2416 STB. So what do you have in the bedroom? Here is a link to a Verizon web page listing all of the available STBs:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Receivers/User%20Guides/User%20Guides.htm

The model number is on the front panel of all of the STBs.

2) Since you have an SD TV in the bedroom, have you taken the time to go through the Settings and make sure that you are using the ones recommended for use with an SD TV? If you are paying $12/mo for that STB it must be an HD box (or the really old 2708 SD DVR, I have no idea what happens with that), there are settings that will make the Guide appear much better on an SD TV (I know this for a fact, I have two HD STBs with SD TVs attached).

3) Based on your post you have a 7216 in the living room, right? How long does the Info banner actually stay visible? On all of my STBs, including my DVR, it stays up about 10 seconds, far too long for my tastes. I believe Verizon is considering an option for the customer to set the duration of the display, that way each of us could set it the way we prefer it.

4) I replaced my 6416 DVR with the new 7232 DVR, much improved, and works very well with 1.9. To address your concerns about getting a 7232:

a) Yes there is a $40 one time charge to get the new box if you order through the web, and almost certainly so if you order via the phone, but I know some people have been able to take their old DVR into a FiOS store and walk out with a 7232 without paying the $40 fee. Do you have a FiOS store near you? here is a link where you can find the stores:

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/Templates/sas/sas_StoreLocator.aspx

b) A too bright display of the clock? Not for me, I am very happy with it. Now if you were to put it in the bedroom it might be too bright, but I wouldn't think so in the living room. Plus you can always put some colored film over it to dim it down if really needed, some folks have done that I know. And I think Verizon is working to add a dimming option in the next level of the IMG.

c) No red recording light? True, there is not a red light. But there is a white light displayed when recording, when you look closely it is actually "REC" in very small letters. Since it is to the left of the clock and there are no other "lights" on that side, it is easy to tell when the DVR is recording (and besides, if you or anyone in the family is red/green colorblind like I am, a red light is pretty useless).

And to your last question, why should you go to all this hassle? Because you want to enjoy your TV experience more I guess. If you don't want to enjoy it, then stay where you are. Smiley Very Happy

I Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
adrew59
Enthusiast - Level 2

and why does it have to take up so much screen....and why can't you turn it off completely....since all you need is number and title....some idio programmer and and developer doesn't know  about watching TV.....hahahahhahaha....

0 Likes