Port forward on a new subnet
yelloguy1

I had to change my ActionTec router's subnet from the default 192.168.1.x to 192.168.5.x.  Since the default clashes with my work which also uses 192.168.1.x, when I have to set routes for work related stuff, I cannot leave it as such.

When I do this change however, my remote DVR feature stops working.

If I leave it as default, Verizon automatically adds some port forwarding (from memory 63145?) for the two DVR boxes I have.

If I change it, the port forwarding never gets added.  I have been waiting for two days now.

Is there a verizon tech monitoring these boards who knows what I am talking about and can help me add those port forwards manually?  Talking to phone their tech support was futile because the person (to his credit) understood what I was talking about but had no such instructions.

I have seen reports on other forums that doing a manual port forwarding is possible but the instructions given there do not work for me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Port forward on a new subnet
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Silly question ... have you unplugged the STB's, removed any existing port forwards from the router, power cycled the router, and then powered up the STB's?   Since you changed the subnet, the STB's need to reboot and get a new IP address on the 192.168.5.x networ and the power cycle of the router wouldn't hurt to be sure any cobwebs from the subnet change aren't still lurking.

0 Likes
yelloguy1

Yes, I have gone through this several times since the only way to remove those automatic port forwards is by RESETTING the router to factory defaults.  The last time I did this, I unplugged the two STB's, reset the router, changed subnet (and other settings) and then connected the STB's making sure they got their new IP's in the new subnet.  Since then I have been waiting for the automatic port forwards to show up but I have almost given up hope now.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

This may or may not work for you.  I have found that if I lose remote DVR access (and it has happened a couple of times) that I need to do the following:

1. In the DVR menu disable remote DVR.
  2. Re-boot the DVR (not just turn off the power - either from the menu or by power cycling).
  3. After the re-boot completes enable remote DVR on the STB in question.

Works for some and not for others, but a simple thing to try.

0 Likes
yelloguy1

Thanks Keyboards and lasagna for your help.  The most bizarre thing just happened.  After searching various forums I decided to (again) try and manually add the port forwards and this time, it worked!

So, here is what I did in the port forwarding screen on ActionTec router:

First drop down: IP-STB1

Second dd: Custom

Third dd: UDP

Fourth Textbox: 63145

And then I pressed the Add button.

After this I went to the Fios Central website and the said DVR started working!

Now I don't know what to do about the second DVR as it wouldn't let me map the same port twice, but this is a good development.  I tried mapping 63146 to the second DVR but that didn't help.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually, you wont be able to get your web dvr to work properly once you change your subnet. There are ways of working around many of the issues but for the most part the Verizon STB's require the 192.168.1.xx in order for the remote systems to work. Many of the interactive systems that Verizon has in place (and are getting ready to add) are all based on the Verizon router/firmware. As such they did not anticipate those that need to change the subnet. This is one of the reasons (among others) why I lost some of these features when I changed to my own router.

0 Likes