QIP-7232 impressions....
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I ordered a QIP 7232 yesterday and UPS delivered it today.

Installation was painless.  I used all the cabling from my 7216...even the power cord.

New box auto-activated in about 5 minutes once I powered it up.

One improvement I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is channel changes are snappier compared to the old box.

I did lose the programs we had recorded on the old box but on the upside...I no longer have to worry about how many programs we save.  I know some for some users 500 GB may not be enough.  For us it's more than enough.

I had to re-setup my wife's iPhone FiOS DVR app but that only took a couple of minutes and it's working fine.

We lost our favorites and had to re-create the fav list.  No big deal but it's too bad you can't save a favorites list on the Remote DVR web page and transfer the list from one box to another.

Over all....I'm happy. Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: QIP-7232 impressions....
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep ... me too.  Very easy upgrade process with only one minor glitch with the remote web access to the DVR.  On the performance end of things, my MRDVR feature on my downstream boxes also seems more responsive (hitting FF and then Play reacts quicker than my old 6xxx seetup).

Only thing I don't like is the blinding white digits on the front panel display.  Arguing with the wife right now on if I can turn off the display (she "needs" the "clock" and "channel" when she's flipping thru thing, I tell her she can just look 10 feet to the left at the grandfather clock and at the screen for the channels and get the same info -- alas not sure I'm going to win this one yet.   🙂  )

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Isn't your wife named SWMBO?  She Who Must Be Obeyed?Smiley Tongue

I noticed the clock/channel display is pretty bright too.  Maybe I'll just put some semi-transparent tape over the display to reduce it's intensity. 

Overall, though, the new box is an improvement over the old one.

edit:  I also had a minor glitch in getting Remote DVR to work.  The new box showed up as something like IMG-15 (I've renamed it and can't remember exactly what it was).  It was a little confusing because the old box was still showing on the TV Central DVR web page.  In fact, it's still there. 

I finally  renamed the old DVR Living Room - Old and renamed IMG-15 (or whatever it was called) Living Room.  I haven't figured out how to permanently remove the old DVR.  I hope one of these days it just disappears.  In the mean time, when I go to the DVR schedule or scheduled programs page I have to click on a pull down to get to the Living Room.  Living Room - Old is still shown as the default.

0 Likes
BxNyEMT

I had the same problem with naming the box and accessing it over the Internet. One of teh Support Tech's said it should go away in 24 hrs or when the old box is received, so I returned it to a Verizon Store. I just hope that this is the box that was referred to in teh e-mail (500gb). I hear that it MAY be 320 GB because the Tech said the capasity was between 110 and 220 hrs of SD and 60 - 75 hrs of HD programing.  Especially after paying the $39.96 upgrade fee I would really be disapointed. 

I am also dsapointed that there are not too mant Audio / Video out ports.  I wanted to hook my TV up to my VCR / DVD Recorder combo but I can'r so I can only watch through HDMI and can't record.  Also the installation guide is hard when it goes into troubleshooting and settings. Guess time will tell.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I too will be disappointed if I learn that the 7232 only has a 320 GB hard drive when the email notice I got from Verizon announcing it was titled "You Wait for the Verizon FiOS TV 500GB DVR is Over."

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BxNyEMT wrote:

I am also dsapointed that there are not too mant Audio / Video out ports.  I wanted to hook my TV up to my VCR / DVD Recorder combo but I can'r so I can only watch through HDMI and can't record.  Also the installation guide is hard when it goes into troubleshooting and settings. Guess time will tell.

Not sure I understand your comment about the audio/video outputs.   The 7232 has HDMI, Composite, Component, and Svideo outputs as well as standard Audio and Digital Coaxial Audio outputs .. and RF.

Pretty much one of everything.  If you're watching TV via HDMI, one of the other outputs would be in use and usable for the application of which you speak.   Am I missing something?

0 Likes
ptownguy

Got the QIP-7232 yesterday.  We are going to set it up this weekend after we finish watching some shows we recorded on the old DVR.

Question: does anyone know exactly what the ethernet port (connector 13 in the manual) on the DVR is for?  Is there perhaps some web-enabled functionality on the new DVR (like Netflix or something) that requires an ethernet connection?  Neither the manual or Quick Start Guide tell you what it is for.

Thanks...

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@ptownguy wrote:

Question: does anyone know exactly what the ethernet port (connector 13 in the manual) on the DVR is for?  Is there perhaps some web-enabled functionality on the new DVR (like Netflix or something) that requires an ethernet connection?  Neither the manual or Quick Start Guide tell you what it is for.

Motorola's own specs are very vague on that subject.  My guess is the RJ-45 connector is just like the eSATA connector....for future application.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
ptownguy

OK, thanks, I agree that's what it could be for.  But, has anyone who has installed their QIP-7232 seen any current use for the ethernet connector?  I assume the answer to that is 'no', but I wanted to hear that, if it was true.

Thanks...

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The ethernet connector is currently disabled. The case is a generic case as some Cable Companies use ethernet for VOD and other interactive systems. Since Verizon uses the Coax instead it is just an un-needed connector on the back of the STB. It can be enabled in the future if Verizon needs it, but for now it is just a "dummy" connector.

0 Likes