QIP7232 - Transfer from Set Top Box to PC??
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

This may seem like a basic question but I was not happy with the rudeness of the technical support personnel when I called to ask this question...

I have the QIP7232 Set Top Box. I also use the Verizon Media Manager to stream media from my computers to my TV. Honestly the Verizon Media Manager is garbage but I will address that in another thread. Since everything is basically linked through my network, is there anyway to transfer recorded shows from the Set Top Box to my computers? If not, can someone explain why? If it is possible, can someone explain what I would have to do? Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: QIP7232 - Transfer from Set Top Box to PC??
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the problem is that you cannot just direct xfer it via USB, firewire, or esata.

What you have to do is basically connect the DVR to the computer like you were going to watch TV on the computer. Your computer would need some kind of video capture card. Then you simply play the Video on the DVR and record on the computer.

Or connect a DVD recorder to the DVR. Play the video on the DVR and record on the DVD recorder. Then take the DVD and rip it to the computer.  

Like I said, not efficient. Its not difficult, but it is very time consuming and you have to have additional equipment. (DVD-R or Video capture card)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

No, there is no way to directly xfer the shows off the DVR to a computer. There are ways to get around it but they are not easy nor efficient. So short answer no.

Mostly due to copyright and digital security issues is the "offical" answer. Most programing is broadcast with a "copy once" security flag so that it can be recorded by a DVR but cannot be copied past that. They are afraid that people will make digital copies and put movies out either for sale or free on the internet and deprive the studios of the royalties. Same thing that is going on with all the music and file sharing issues.

0 Likes
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

@spacedebris wrote:

There are ways to get around it but they are not easy nor efficient. So short answer no.

Thanks. I can definitely appreciate the legal ramafications; however, I am not trying to share my recorded shows with anyone. You referenced that there is a way but it is neither easy nor efficient. Can you provide what these steps are or is that against the rules of this forum?
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well the problem is that you cannot just direct xfer it via USB, firewire, or esata.

What you have to do is basically connect the DVR to the computer like you were going to watch TV on the computer. Your computer would need some kind of video capture card. Then you simply play the Video on the DVR and record on the computer.

Or connect a DVD recorder to the DVR. Play the video on the DVR and record on the DVD recorder. Then take the DVD and rip it to the computer.  

Like I said, not efficient. Its not difficult, but it is very time consuming and you have to have additional equipment. (DVD-R or Video capture card)

0 Likes
mhiggins8450
Enthusiast - Level 3

Much appreciated. I have been doing some research and I do have some ideas. What you stated pretty much confirms what I have found. Thanks

0 Likes
asteng88

Get a pre-owned TiVO and hook it up with your DVR. You can transfer from the Tivo to a Mac (i haven't done it with a PC) but I know the software exists. I used Roxio Toast.

0 Likes