Quantum TV multi-recording question
bgcastle
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have Quantum TV with a single DVR, and multiple STB's. I can record programs on the DVR and watch different live TV channels. In my living room, I can be recording up to 12 shows and still change the channel. But on the other STB's, as soon as 2 shows are recording, I'm forced to watch one of those two channels on those TV's. What setting is required on the other STB's to allow me to watch other shows on those TV's while the main DVR is recording more than 2 shows?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Quantum TV multi-recording question
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not sure about how, or when, the tuners are allocated. If an STB (IPC 1100) is powered off is the tuner available to another STB or recorded show? This scenario makes sense to me.

But if each STB is always assigned a tuner, regardless if it's on or off, IMO this would defeat the primary feature for renting a (6) tuner DVR.

You can verify this for yourself.

It sounds like you have a big family with a lot of individuals watching TV in different rooms at the same time; which is why Verizon will "gladly" rent you (2) VMS 1100's making (12) tuners available.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strange.  Your configuration makes no sense.

With only one VMS DVR you can only do 6 shows at a time.  And your IPC need a tuner in order to operate.  Obviously if you have 6 shows already going your IPC can only view one of those shows.  Should be able to view any one of them.

0 Likes
bgcastle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks - my question is not about how many shows I can record at once. My question is why I cannot watch live TV on a different channel on my TV's outside of my living room when I am recording 2 shows on the DVR. I can on the TV connected to the main STB/DVR, but it kind of defeats the purpose if my family can't watch anything anywhere else in the house if 2 or more shows are recording...

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you QUantum?  Then you should have no trouble watching or even recording until 6 tuners are in use.  I cannot talk about how the Very Recent configs without quantum that us the VMS1100 limited to two tuners.

0 Likes
bgcastle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, Qunatum TV with recently updagraded equipment.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

I haven't subscribed to FiOS Quantum TV yet (still too many bugs for me) but my understanding is you can rent either:

(1) VMS 1100 (DVR) and record up to six programs at the same time or:

(2) VMS 1100's and record up to 12 programs simultaneously

Each IPC 1100 (STB) and VMS 1100 requires (1) tuner, which is supplied by the VMS 1100, to operate/watch live TV with.

You did not specify how many STBs you have but if you had (4) IPC 1100's and (1) VMS 1100 all active this requires (5) tuners so once you try to record (2) programs at the same time you would exceed (6) tuners and one channel would have to be viewed while the show is being recorded.

0 Likes
bgcastle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your response. Makes sense (disturbingly), so let me make sure I understand.

I have 1 VMS1100 DVR

I have 5 STB's

So essentially, as soon as I record 1 program, I'm at the max limit of allowing different channels to be viewed?? (If all 5 STB's are on different channels, which they often can be). If this is true, then Verizon will be getting an earful from me.

However, here's what happened to prompt this question. I had 3 programs recording on the DVR, which is also the main STB. Based on what you have said here, that would mean 3 other STB's could be on different channels. I had the main STB on a different channel, so that's now 4 tuners in use. That would seem to indicate that 2 other STB's could be on different channels, and 2 STB's would be blocked from changing to a channel other than one of those recording.

So does this make more sense?

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not sure about how, or when, the tuners are allocated. If an STB (IPC 1100) is powered off is the tuner available to another STB or recorded show? This scenario makes sense to me.

But if each STB is always assigned a tuner, regardless if it's on or off, IMO this would defeat the primary feature for renting a (6) tuner DVR.

You can verify this for yourself.

It sounds like you have a big family with a lot of individuals watching TV in different rooms at the same time; which is why Verizon will "gladly" rent you (2) VMS 1100's making (12) tuners available.

optivity
Contributor - Level 3

FiOS Quantum TV - General FiOS Quantum TV FAQs

41. I am watching a program as it is being recorded. I am not able to change channels. What do I do?

This can occur if all of your DVR resources (tuners) are in use. The following should occur: On Your TV screen, you will be prompted to free up a tuner. Simply select one of the programs currently being recorded and click OK to cancel that recording. This action will free up DVR resources and allow you to switch channels.

Or If you are no longer watching TV on any of the Media Clients connected to the Video Media Server where the conflict has occurred, you may turn that Media Client off to release DVR resources.

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/Tv/FiosTv/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/1215...

0 Likes
bgcastle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, thanks. Thats pretty much the capabilities I had in my house BEFORE the upgrade to Quantum. Pretty much useless unless I tell my family to stop watching other shows when we're recording shows. Or, I can upgrade and pay more money to get ANOTHER DVR box to put in so I can record up to 12 shows at once.....ooooo, I can hardly stop myself.

Guess it's time to pay more attention to the other providers that are constantly banging at my door asking me to switch from FIOS. But now I have a better understanding of how this works, so at least I can ask better questions.

Appreciate the help,

0 Likes