Recordings on DVR
clovergine

Is there a way to transfer programs I recorded on my DVR directly to a computer or external hard drive? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Recordings on DVR
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer ... no.   This is not a capability provided by Verizon's DVR offering - it is rumored that a future version of the STB code to be released later this year will provide the ability to expand recording capacity to leverage an approved external drive -- but this would be for use with the DVR only and not for viewing on a PC or via another means.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Keep in mind that all these restrictions on copying are due to DRM and content providers restrictions, not a decision that Verizon has made.  Verizon does not own the content, they are just the "middle man".

0 Likes
TheBloodman

What I have done is use the RCA jacks in the back of the box and hooked it up to my computer using a good capture card. Hit play on the DVR and using good editing software, record the program. The downside is you have to do it in real time. Once recorded to the computer, you can edit out the commercials and then make a DVD from it.I've been trying to find a good TV Tuner card to use it directly in my computer and record a program using the cable directly. That way, I can create a second DVR in the house.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Right now, probably the best PC tuner card, is the Ceton InfiniTV 4.  It is a 4 tuner card with cable cars capability meaning that you can get everything you are subscribed to by renting a cable card from Verizon for $3.99 / month.  Don't know the specific PC requirements , but you might want to check it out.

http://www.cetoncorp.com/

0 Likes
Lurker
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can grab the MPEG-2 file through the firewire port.

Works on Fios

Did a quick search for you, this is basically what you need to do

http://jpicune.wordpress.com/2006/10/13/record-shows-from-your-comcast-hd-dvr-onto-your-mac/

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Lurker wrote:

You can grab the MPEG-2 file through the firewire port.

Depends on the copy flag set by the provider / Verizon which varies by channel.  However, it will only stream what you are watching meaning you can't gain additional recording capability.

0 Likes
Lurker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, you can't get the file if it says copy once, needs to show copy freely

I don't have any premium movie channels but those are probably copy once. Other channels mostly work.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well, I did find a rather round-about way of transferring to my computer. It was rather cumbersome but it did work.

I played the show on my DVR and recorded it to my DVD-recorder. Once on DVD, I then rip'd it to my computer. It was a bit of work, but it did do the job. I dont think I'd want to do this on a large number of recordings. But for the occasional xfer, it does do the job. The only issue is I dont have a blu-ray recorder, so HD was not an option, but I got a nice DVD quality rip to my computer.

0 Likes