Remote DVR - and Non ActionTech Router
grantb2

I would like to use remote dvr feature, however I do not (and would prefer not) to use the Actiontech Router.

I have the ONT feeding my Netgear Gigbit Router over CAT5e cable. Connected ot a switch port on my router is a MOCA device to connect my COAX network to my DATA network.

Please advise on what ports need to be forwarded to the DVR box, or what needs to take place for the remote dvr features to work with a non - actiontech router.

If there router wasn't such a piece of junk (specifically the tiny NAT table, and slow throughput compared to others) than I wouldn't mind using it. I tried using it (and I play several online games) and it ALWAYS would cause me to lose internet connection after overrunning the NAT table.

I would like remote dvr feature to work if at all possible.

Thanks,

Grant.

0 Likes
Re: Remote DVR - and Non ActionTech Router
grantb2

Message that I am confronted with:

Remote DVR Activation Failure
Remote DVR is not supported on non-Verizon routers.

Remote DVR service works only with the Verizon supplied routers and with no changes to the original setup. Since you are using your own router and/or firewall setup we cannot enable Remote DVR on your account.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@grantb wrote:

Message that I am confronted with:

Remote DVR Activation Failure
Remote DVR is not supported on non-Verizon routers.

Remote DVR service works only with the Verizon supplied routers and with no changes to the original setup. Since you are using your own router and/or firewall setup we cannot enable Remote DVR on your account.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

This is correct. The Verizon supplied router has special firmware to make the proprietary features work. I tried every port forwarding configuration I could think of. If you find a way then let everyone know. If you get it working with the Verizon router and place your own router in place of the Verizon router, the web site will see it and disable the feature. If you keep attempting to do this, the feature will go away from Verizon central all together. Do not expect tech support assistance if they get it working and you break it with your router. That is my experience. I gave up the feature.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Currently there isn't a way for you get remote DVR to work without the actiontec in front. 

Options 1 through 3 leave the Actiontec as primary router and the added (user) router as secondary and 1, 2 and 3 are the only way people have gotten that to work.  the configurations may be suitable to you, so take a look and if they are then you may have a solution.

below are some ways for you to do what you would like to do. just keep in mind that those are advanced set ups and not supported over the phone or by technician at verizon, so you can do them at your own risk type of thing, and the only support you'll really have is from online users.  If your a DIY (Do it yourself) kinda guy, then these should work, 

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
0 Likes