Remote won't hold code
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK, I've got several of the older remotes for FIOS - the kind that supports 4 devices.  I love them and they have always worked well.  Here's the problem:  I just purchased a new AV receiver, an Onkyo.  Following the instrucitons to the letter, I found a code that works - that is to say it turns on the set.  However, after turning on the set, the power button will NOT turn the set off.  The volume control seems to work, but I can't get the set to turn off.  I tried other codes and found several that worked, but the same thing would happen.  If the set was on when I input the code it would turn it off, but then not turn it on again.  If the set was off when I input a code, it would turn it on but then not turn it off again.  I tried the same codes with a second FIOS remote (also 4 device) and had the same thing occur.  I don't know if it is a problem with the receiver or not.  I literally went through each of the 20 or so codes listed for Onkyo, but always with the same result.

Instructions say to 1.  press the device button hold it and press the OK button

2.  all 4 device buttons blink 3 times

3.  Input code

4.  Device to be programmed blinks twice to indicate code accepted.

Am I missing a step or something?  Any thoughts from the experts out there?

0 Likes
Re: Remote won't hold code
djgva
Enthusiast - Level 2
Not an expert on verizon remotes, but sometimes with new equipment, remote codes may not work. I had a similar issue and was able to search on Google and find a post that had codes that were newer and had not been published in the remotes code guide. Just a thought.
0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey thanks, I'll give that a try and let you know if I find anything useful.

0 Likes
barbshop
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update on FIOS remote and Onkyo Receiver:

Apparently this is a problem with Onkyo receivers, and not so much the Verizon remote.  Onkyo does not use a toggle approach to turning on and off its equipment as most manufacturers do, but instead uses discrete codes to turn on and different ones to turn off.  So it isn't that the remote isn't holding the code as I thought, but simply that Onkyo recognizes a paritcular code to only turn on the set and a differnet one to turn off the set.  I don't understand the need or benefit to this for Onkyo, but it means that the only way I can use the FIOS remote is to set up one button, maybe the AUX to turn on the set, and another, maybe the DVD to turn it off.  Of course, you lose the the use of that button of any other device.

In short, no solution.

0 Likes
tmr222
Enthusiast - Level 1

For Onkyo a/v receiver, use AUX button to turn power on and reprogram DVD button to turn power off.

Aux button – Code 1347 worked for me to turn power on.

Leave receiver on.

Push and hold DVD button in and press OK button.

Release both buttons and all device lights should flash once.

Enter Code 9-9-2, and DVD light should flash.

Press play button, then press fast-forward button (not the next button) until receiver turns off (I pressed 302 or 303 times).

Once power turns off, press OK.
If you go too fast, turn receiver back on (within 20 seconds) and press back button SLOWLY until receiver turns off again, then press OK.

0 Likes