Router upstairs+internet TV downstairs=streaming cuts out
dkd1952
Enthusiast - Level 2
Our FiOS router is upstairs, our internet-ready TV is downstairs. When we try to watch Netflix, we are lucky if it connects the first time and we almost never can watch a single episode without the connection cutting out. We have tried turning off computers, tablets, etc. with no improvement. It is simply not feasible to run a cable from router to TV. Short of relocating the router downstairs next to the TV is there anything we can do? Thank you.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router upstairs+internet TV downstairs=streaming cuts out
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Yes it uses the same coax. You unscrew the coax from the back of the STB and screw it onto a 2-way splitter. Now the 2 outputs get hooked upto the back of the STB and to the network extender. The network extenter automatically configures to the router using the same wireless info. It also has 2 ethernet ports on the back.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of options:

1) Is it feasible to move rotuer closer to TV?

2) Can you add a second rotuer that is closer to TV?

I was able to run a cable from my FIOS rotuer downstairs and put a second router in acting in bridge mode.

It was then able to cover the basement better.

0 Likes
dkd1952
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I would need to get someone in to recable in order to move the router downstairs.

If I understand you correctly, your basement router is connected by cable to your FiOS cable. I would need help from someone to do this. 

As it turns out my current FiOS router is an Actiontec MI424WR, Rev I. I have an older Actiontec MI424WR, Rev E I am not using, but I thought I read somewhere that you cannot use Verizon Actiontec routers as bridges. 

Any other ideas?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not sure about using Rev E as a bridge.

By cable, I mean ethernet cable. I bought a router (dLink in this case) to perform the bridging function.

I was able to fish the cable downstairs easily to make it work.

Verizon is coming our with a new rotuer that is dual band and may provide better coverage.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@dkd1952 wrote:
OurFiOS router is upstairs, ourinternet-ready TV is downstairs. When we try towatchNetflix, we are lucky if it connects the first time and we almost never canwatch a single episode without the connection cutting out. We have tried turning off computers, tablets, etc. with no improvement. It is simply not feasible to run a cable from router to TV. Short of relocating the router downstairs next to the TV is there anything we can do? Thank you.

You can get the Fios network extender and put that at the TV and everything will work just fine.https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts?LOBCode=C&PromoTCode=A0760&PromoS...

dkd1952
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. This looks promising but may I ask one more question since I am really tech-handicapped? I have seen the instruction sheet for the extender. I just want to make sure about the coax cable that gets plugged into the extender at the downstairs TV set location--is that the same coax that currently is plugged into my STB? Can it really be that simple? Thanks again!

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Yes it uses the same coax. You unscrew the coax from the back of the STB and screw it onto a 2-way splitter. Now the 2 outputs get hooked upto the back of the STB and to the network extender. The network extenter automatically configures to the router using the same wireless info. It also has 2 ethernet ports on the back.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would really look at the new router. I don't have it (yet. Getting one soon).

But specs show is has longer range WIFI than current router.

0 Likes
dkd1952
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the advice. I hooked up the device yesterday, and connected the supplied ethernet cable between the device and the TV set. Finally, Netflix that does not cut out!

0 Likes