SET TOP BOX ADVERTISING DELAYS!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!
mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Verizon,

If you are going to force customers to watch your advertisements when interacting with the set top box THEY ARE ALREADY PAYING FOR, make sure it works!!!! 

Don't you guys use your product???  It's not just unbelievably annoying, it doesn't work!!!  Totally uncool to put untested apps into production and force your cusomers to experience delays when they simply want to watch TV. 

If you can't fix it, remove it!!!  You guys charge too much money as it is to force customers to interact with your kludgy apps!!!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SET TOP BOX ADVERTISING DELAYS!!! UNACCEPTABLE!!!
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can disable these also.

Go to Menu-Settings-Pop Up Alerts.

Choose never show me again.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you are refering to the pop-ups on the top of the screen on channels like CNN and History Channel, it is very easy to disable.

Go to menu-settings-television-interactive tv. Just change it to disable.

mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

No.  I'm talking about the fact that sometimes when I attempt to bring up the menu on the set top box, instead of actually getting the menu, I have to wait while Verizon attempts to advertise their paid OnDemand offerings. 

It's annoying and I'd rather just be able to access the menu ... which I feel is a service I'm already paying for ... it will sometimes take exceptionally long and appears to be frozen ... so you then hit menu again to figure out if it's responding or not ... and when it finally does respond it will remove the menu since it processes the second menu button selection.

I'm paying enough for the service that I should be able to decide when I want to review OnDemand options.

Verizon ... remove these advertisements immediately!!!  It's annoying but more importantly ... IT DOESN'T WORK PROPERLY!!!

0 Likes
mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would appreciate if someone from Verizon would respond.

0 Likes
mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

No response?

It's one thing if Verizon wants to display ads and/or banners to advertise, I suppose I can live with that. 

However ...

I would like to understand how Verizon thinks it's ok to make the decision to hijack the menu button on my remote and interfere with my ability to use the service I'm already being charged for by forcing me to interact with their advertisements?  On top of that, it doesn't even work properly and causes delays when attempting to use the service I'm already overpaying for.  Totally uncool.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can disable these also.

Go to Menu-Settings-Pop Up Alerts.

Choose never show me again.

mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

CRobGauth,

I just disabled it.  Hopefully that will fix the problem.  If so, thank you!  That would officially make you the man.

I'm willing to bet that 99% of Verizon customers don't realize that they can disable that feature.  a) Why even have that feature to begin with, and b) if they're going to have the feature at least make sure it's responsive and works.

I posted previously that it occurs when selecting the menu but it actually pops up when attempting to access the Guide and DVR buttons as well.  Then when it does come up, it appears that you have to exit the pop-up alert and re-enter the Guide/Menu/DVR function you were attempting to access to being with.

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1

I hope that's it too, but somehow I doubt it because in that menu it asks you what position on the TV you want the popup to be displayed. It makes it seem like it is a small pop up, but Verizon's popups fill the entire screen, so I have my doubts, but we will see. 

0 Likes
mmiller01
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are correct.  This setting stopped the annoying advertisements.  Thank you.

Most people probably don't know about this setting and think they have to put up with the annoying ads.  It's intrusive and customers are paying for the right to not have to deal with it.  Verizon should make NOT seeing the ads the default and let customers choose whether they want to enable the setting.

0 Likes