Re: STB shuts off randomly
Bodz1

is ventilation the only remedy? 

It seems like the DVR does have a few inches of overhead space.

I too have sent back my DVR, I have changed HDMI to Component Cables changed outlets - doesn't make sense.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

If the box has been replaced and the same thing is happening, its not an issue with the box. If the box has enough ventilation, then you have to look elsewhere for trouble. My next suggestion would be the power source. If where it is plugged in the power levels dip slightly, it could be triggering the box to reset. To test to see if this is true, please swap box locations with a box that does not reset and see if the problem follows the box or not. This will let you know if its something with the location where its plugged into or not.

0 Likes
vazevedo01

I am having the same problem. For the last 2 weeks my box has been randomly shutting off on me. the letteres dec appear on the box and then if shuts down. Before it was only happening about once a day but now its happening every 5 minutes. I have tried to use the chat feature on the website and have been waiting for over an hour to talk to someone. I have also tried to call directly and have been on hold for over an hour as well. I am very dissappointed with how hard it is to get a problem resolved. At this point I can not watch tv and I have no way of fixing this problem.

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

@vazevedo01 wrote:

I am having the same problem. For the last 2 weeks my box has been randomly shutting off on me. the letteres dec appear on the box and then if shuts down. Before it was only happening about once a day but now its happening every 5 minutes. I have tried to use the chat feature on the website and have been waiting for over an hour to talk to someone. I have also tried to call directly and have been on hold for over an hour as well. I am very dissappointed with how hard it is to get a problem resolved. At this point I can not watch tv and I have no way of fixing this problem.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with the box. It's stuck in a download loop caused by one of two things. One is a poor signal that you can fix quickly and most easily. This is done by unplugging power cord to the box and then unscrewing the coax cord from both ends (where it screws into the wall outlet and where it screws into the back of the box). Once unscrewed from both ends, look at the tip and make sure it's straight. If there's any oxidation on the tip, scrape it off with your finger nail or a tooth pick. Screw both ends back on finger tight then plug in the power cord. Please let us know how it works out.

0 Likes
2Grow2
I have nothing around my set top box and it still turns off randomly. Ive had it less than a year. It worked fine when i started using it. Now it turns off and a then restartes, going through An initial start up screen. Call Verizon and was told it was told it couldn't be the STB because it was new. Was told since I don't have some in wall insurance I could be charged for a service call. Problem is the Verizon contractor who installed the set up drilled the connection into my house and ran his wires to the box. Why would I be charged? Close to changing service if this can't be fixed.
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically you would only be charged if the cabling was found to be at fault.

Not very likely in this scenario.

I would try contacting support again. See if they can send you a replacement box.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes