Scrren Size Settings Do Not Stick
jerrym
Enthusiast - Level 1
Until yesterday, my non-HD stations displayed in Wide Zoom mode. The picture filled the entire screen. That is the way I wanted it. Either I must have hit something inadverently on the Remote or Verizon congigured the STB differently because now , when I turn on the TV, the display is in Normal mode. My 40 inch TV becomes a 32 inch TV. I can change the mode by pressing the Aspect button (#sign) on the remote but whenever I change channels ,it reverts to Normal Mode and I have to reset it. MY TV is set to Wide  Zoom mode but FIOS appears to be now overriding it. It is impossible to speak to a real live person at Verizon.
The problem does not occur on MY DVD-VCR interface, NON- HD stations are always displayed in Wide ZOOM Mode.

My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40WL140.  1080p set.

I do not have the technical knowledge of most of you do  ,  so if you can assist me, please  keep that mind when giving a response.

My Sony 720p TV with a Verizon STB does not have this problem. 

0 Likes
Re: Scrren Size Settings Do Not Stick
Justin46
Legend

I don't understand why you would want to see all of those extremely fat people  Smiley Very Happy  Seriously, I can't stand that mode, but to each his own.....  

The first thing to do is check the setting in the STB:

Menu ==> Settings ==> Video Settings ==> SD Override ==> ???

What is the current setting? If you want the SD (non-HD) channels to always be stretched by the STB, this value should be "stretch" (and you may need to scroll the list to see this option if it is not the current setting).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jerrym
Enthusiast - Level 1

Justin

Thank you for your response. However, I am unable to access "SD Override" in the Video Settings portion of the menu. "SD Override" is there but when I press the down arrow, it skips from the entry above "RF something" to the entry below which is "Help". My guess is that Verizon has configured their system so that I now must press the Aspect button if I want to expand the picture horizontally.

Jerry

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Jerry,

OK, not being able to set the SD Overridet tells me that the Video Format setting in the DVR is set to 480i or 480p, not to one of the HD settings, 720p or1080i.

You do have an HD TV right? If not, I don't think there is anything we can do. 

If you do have an HD TV, you need to go back into the menu, same path, except that instead of SD Override, you need to set the Video Format first, to either 720p or 1080i. You should try both, some people prefer it one way and others the other way, really just depends on your particular TV - there is no "right" setting except which looks best to you. Once you change the Video Format, you will then be able to set the SD Override.

I do not have an"RF something" entry in my guide. What model DVR do you have? I have a 6416, maybe the menu is somewhat different  on yours. But no, Verizon has not changed the system to require using the Aspect button all of the time.

Keller, TX 76248

jerrym
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bravo! Justin. You have solved the problem.

I neglected to tell you that I also have another SONY HDTV and DVD recorder (VX525) upstairs. The  upstairsTV  is a 720pp model. My downstairs TV is a  1080p model I checked the settings on the upstairs TV  and found a Video Format of 1080i and an SD Override of 480i. I installed the same settings on my downstairs TV and am happy with the results. The SD Override on the downstairs TV was previously set to "OFF" and the Video Format to 480p. I now get a full screen picture. I tried the Strtetch setting and the picture was more distorted.

What is still unexplained is how the change occurred on my downstairs TV since I did not even know that these settings existed

Once again,  Thank you.

Jerry

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Hi Jerry,

You are welcome, glad to hear things are better!

I guess because I have spent a fair amount of time exploring the menus on the DVR, some of the stuff is fairly well known to me yet not very intuitive to newer users. I was in the computer business for 37 years, and at one point in my so-called career(?) I was heavily involved in working with making graphical interfaces more usable and user-friendly. I wish I had had the opportunity to work with the Verizon developers on the IMG interface, I would certainly have suggested some different ways of presenting the info.

How is the DVR connected to the TV, via HDMI or component cables? As to how and why the settings got changed, the only thing I can tell you is that the HDMI protocol requies that the devices negotiate the proper settings each time they sense a change. In this case, the DVR and the TV must agree. So if you somehow did something to change what the DVR saw from the TV end of the connection, that could explain it, although I don't have any idea what might have caused a change (changing to a different TV, for example, would be an example why the settings in the DVR might change).

Here are a couple of other thoughts about what you might take a look at:

1) If you are using an HDMI connection, setting the SD Override to OFF speeds the channel change tremendously because there is no need for the DVR and TV to re-negotiate the HDMI connection properties. In my setup, with SD Override set to OFF, channel changes between SD and HD channels, in either direction, take about 1 second. With it set to one of the 480 settings, it takes from 3 to 5 seconds in either direction.

2) If you have not experimented with setting up one or two Favorites guides I encourage you to try it. Using the Favorites function you can eliminate seeing any and all channels you don't care about, be them the shopping channels, Spanish channels, premium channels, etc. You might want to read through the Exploiting FiOS TV Favorites topic here in the FiOS TV section of the forums.

Anyway, glad it is now back working the way you want!

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes