Set top box &&nd outlet problem
Mystery3
Enthusiast - Level 2

i wanted to put a TV in my sister's room so i order a set top box with install it yourself option but when i install it,it doesn't find any service?what to do, do i need to call Verizon for a technician?because i call Verizon and they have no solutions rather than send me to customer service which is closed on a Sunday!

Horrible service!

0 Likes
Re: Set top box &&nd outlet problem
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, like is the cable in that room actually active?  What happens if you take your working STB to that room and connect it?   If that box doesn't work there, then the cable in that room is not active.   You will need to track the cable run back to where it meets up with the other cabling in the house and connect it with a splitter.

0 Likes
Mystery3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm assuming its the cable that's what their basically telling me but can some like me just go up the and do it?If its connected to another room it works perfectly fine their. Can Verizon do that for me?or do i need to find a private contractor?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Verizon can do it, but they will probably charge you for a truck roll (not sure what their current charge is).  You could also call an electrician or other private contractor.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@Mystery wrote:

I'm assuming its the cable that's what their basically telling me but can some like me just go up the and do it?If its connected to another room it works perfectly fine their. Can Verizon do that for me?or do i need to find a private contractor?

Verizon can do that for you if you want. That is why tech support was wanting to transfer you to customer service. They would have to create an order to send a tech out and charge you for the visit. I think its about $95 + material for 1 hour.

You can do this yourself if you know how. You have to trace the cable in that room back to where the Verizon splitter is and connect it.

You can also get an electrician or contactor to do this for you as well ($$$$$)

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

There's also the "make friends with a neighbor who knows how to do the connection and buy them a dinner" option as well...

The connection of a STB to the house wiring for someone who is comfortable with the process is a rather simple task.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think lasagna is hinting.  and his name might give away his favorite food that you could offer in exchange.

jk

he may be right though.  you would be surprised how many people feel comfortable doing that type of wiring,  I went a month or two because I didn't have the money to pay someone to come out to do work like that, talked casually with a few friends, both of them knew how and offered to come over and help on the weekend. 

Ask around you may be surprised, or you can simply call a contractor out of the penny saver or the yellow pages, or if you would like verizon to do the work for you, you can call and put an order in the system for that.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The airfare from South Central, PA to California however, I suspect, might put my services a bit out of reach.   🙂   I can't count anymore how many steak dinners and cases of beer I've had wander my way over the years.

Seriously ... think of a friend or neighbor you know who's good with computers or has a nice home theater setup and I'll bet for a few bucks, dinner, or some age appropriate beverages you'll be in business in no time.     

0 Likes
Mystery3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well thanks you guys for all the help,talk to customer service and they will be here tomorrow 8am to 12pm lets see how that goes.

0 Likes