Sharp Aquos and Cable Card
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an older (2005) Sharp Aquos that has a cable card slot. It had worked fine with RCN with a single channel card. I switched to Fios last week. The multistream cards that the installer brought dont seem to work with this TV. The cards work fine in my Tivo. They left me an STB at no extra charge for the set, but I'd prefer the cable card, and one less box and remote in my living room.

0 Likes
Re: Sharp Aquos and Cable Card
Hubrisnxs
Legend

call sharp or reach out on their forums to see if there is a firmware update to your tv that supports simulcrypt.

tivo supports it, that is why the tivo probably gets more channels and works, the sharp may or may not.   simulcrpyt is kinda new on the fios network.

0 Likes
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.

I just called Sharp and the set only accepts single stream cable cards (which I used to have with RCN), and wont work with a multistream card. There is no firmware update for the set.

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

call sharp or reach out on their forums to see if there is a firmware update to your tv that supports simulcrypt.

tivo supports it, that is why the tivo probably gets more channels and works, the sharp may or may not.   simulcrpyt is kinda new on the fios network.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if it only accepts single stream cards or s cards, call vz tech support (or if you have the FT's number) and ask if they can send a FT back out, and make sure they put in the dispatcher remarks that you need a S-Card.   VZ still has some of those floating around, but only a ft can bring you one, so he has to have one in his area that he can get and use.  

vz charges the same for Single stream and multi stream. 

BTW,  Verizon moved to something called simulcrypt and so if that is an older set without firmware updates, then you'll get a limited amount of stations in your line up.

here is a article about simulcrypt.   http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/verizon-fios-simulcrypt-rollout-will-break-most-cablecard-tuners/

so if that is a tv with limited viewing needs, then a s card would be fine, but if you want all your channels you're probably going to want to keep the cable box verizon gives you.     or upgrade tv's

0 Likes
dwiener
Enthusiast - Level 3
The FT told me they only had the M cards. I'm sure I get everything except VOD right now on my TiVo which is connected to the same set. The Sharp tech said they no longer make cable card sets. Sure wish someone would come out with a set that had the descrambler and even a DVR built in. It would be nice to lose some of the hardware in the living room. When its finally time for a new set I thinking one thats internet enabled and just doing direct streaming and dropping the cable to the bare minimum. I now have over 400 channels, most of which never get watched.

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

if it only accepts single stream cards or s cards, call vz tech support (or if you have the FT's number) and ask if they can send a FT back out, and make sure they put in the dispatcher remarks that you need a S-Card.   VZ still has some of those floating around, but only a ft can bring you one, so he has to have one in his area that he can get and use.  

vz charges the same for Single stream and multi stream. 

BTW,  Verizon moved to something called simulcrypt and so if that is an older set without firmware updates, then you'll get a limited amount of stations in your line up.

here is a article about simulcrypt.   http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/verizon-fios-simulcrypt-rollout-will-break-most-cablecard-tuners/

so if that is a tv with limited viewing needs, then a s card would be fine, but if you want all your channels you're probably going to want to keep the cable box verizon gives you.     or upgrade tv's

0 Likes