The Good Wife and football time change - video recorder problem
drfitzie

For the last 3 weeks I have been getting half of the Good Wife recorded because the football game on Sundays has backed up all the evening programs 35 minutes.  I am furious with CBS for extending the football game so people cannot record the programs. 

I just spent one hour with a Verizon "help" person setting up the Manual recording for The Good Wife from 9:35 to 10:35 pm.  It looks like I may see the whole show next week but it says "not available" at the end.  I do not feel too confident that this will work and I cannot speak to anyone higher. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: The Good Wife and football time change - video recorder problem
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@drfitzie wrote:

I am furious with CBS for extending the football game so people cannot record the programs. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?

How about using On-Demand (that's what I have been doing).  The show in question is in the CBS folder (HD and SD) although it sometimes takes a few days to have the latest show appear.  Your other options are manual recording, extending the recording time of the show, or also record the show that is on after.

Don't know why you blame CBS, they don't control the length of the games.  They are also obligated by contract with the NFL to show the games to their conclusion. 

The not cutting off a game is the old "Heidi" rule.  Years ago a game appeared well out of reach for the trailing team and the network cut away to show the movie Heidi.  That game turned out to be be one of the biggest comebacks in NFL history and there was outrage that the conclusion wasn't shown, hence the "we'll stick with it until it's over" philosophy.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have the same problem with Amazing Race -- every Sunday, CBS runs late with football which pushes back 60 minutes and subsequently everything else that evening.

What I've taken to doing for any show on a channel which follows football (Sunday or Monday night) is setup a Series recording and then go back into the series a modify it and extend the End Time by 1 hour (I found most games only run over about 20-30 minutes but usually no more than an hour -- although to be safe you could add 90 minutes to the end if you really want to).  

This results in recording the end of the previously show before the show I wanted to watch on nights when the game runs late which I can just fast-forward over) or an additional hour on the end of the show on nights when football somehow manages to end on time -- but that's not all them much space on the DVR and as a result I don't miss any of the show.

I would love if one of these days the guide providers and the TV channels could provide real time updates that the DVR's could leverage and adjust their recording times on the fly, but alas that doesn't seem to be in the near future.   Of course, I've also complained to the networks that since football always seems to run over by at least 20 minutes -- why not just make the football time slot 30 minutes longer!  (and on nights with a shorter game, fill the extra time with an extended sports wrapup show or something).

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes