Trouble with FiOS Quantum and Bose Systems
romnejo
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded to the FiOS Quantum system in my home.  Three of my TVs use BOSE sound systems - a V35 Lifestyle system, a Cinemate 120 system and a Solo 15 system.  I cannot program the BOSE remote controls to fully utilize the funcitonality of the Arris cable boxes - specifically using the channel guide to move between channels, the Last Channel viewed button to return to a channel, nor can i input the channel number via the number keys and move to a different channel by pushing OK.  I called BOSE and they walked me through all of the universal codes they have for Arris cable systems.  they said the system is too new...  I called Verizon Technical Support and they said they don't give out codes to support third-party remotes...  I called Arris and they don't accept support calls from residential customers of cable companies that rent out Arris systems...  i am stumped.

Has anyone encountered this?  any solutions?  i believe it could be as easy as getting a "new" code from Arris, but i don't have a resources to get the new code.  the ones i have are - 4776, 1187, 2187 and 2378. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble with FiOS Quantum and Bose Systems
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Universal" remotes aren't really universal.  They have a fixed database of infrared codes built in. The remote "codes" select a set of infrared commands from that database.  Newer devices may not be in the database, which means they may not be partially or fully supported.

Your best bet is to get a true universal remote such as a Logitech Harmony.  These remotes use a database downloaded from the web, so they have codes for almost all current and old devices.  They can also learn new codes if a device isn't yet in their database.

The Harmony Remotes are also true "one" remote solutions.  They will control all of the devices in your setup, eliminating the need to keep multiple remotes around.  They use "activity" based control, which means you press a button for "watch TV" or "watch BluRay" and the remote turns on the correct boxes and sets all  the correct inputs.  Further, the controls adjust as well, so "play" goes to the BluRay when watching a disc but goes to the set-top-box when watching TV.  Truly useful devices that are way better than any remote provided by Verizon or equipment vendors.

You can often find refurbished units on eBay for not that much money.  Brand new units are available at your favorite store or online retailer at reasonable prices as well.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

"Universal" remotes aren't really universal.  They have a fixed database of infrared codes built in. The remote "codes" select a set of infrared commands from that database.  Newer devices may not be in the database, which means they may not be partially or fully supported.

Your best bet is to get a true universal remote such as a Logitech Harmony.  These remotes use a database downloaded from the web, so they have codes for almost all current and old devices.  They can also learn new codes if a device isn't yet in their database.

The Harmony Remotes are also true "one" remote solutions.  They will control all of the devices in your setup, eliminating the need to keep multiple remotes around.  They use "activity" based control, which means you press a button for "watch TV" or "watch BluRay" and the remote turns on the correct boxes and sets all  the correct inputs.  Further, the controls adjust as well, so "play" goes to the BluRay when watching a disc but goes to the set-top-box when watching TV.  Truly useful devices that are way better than any remote provided by Verizon or equipment vendors.

You can often find refurbished units on eBay for not that much money.  Brand new units are available at your favorite store or online retailer at reasonable prices as well.

Good Luck.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The remotes are the same for both the old Motorola and the new Arris boxes.

So if your remote worked onthe old boxes, they should work on the new.

If you had never tried to use them on the old, then maybe try searching for codes that work on Verizon boxes vs vendor specific.