Tuner Switch (swap) Button on Remote not working
realeyz
Enthusiast - Level 1
Just had FIOS TV installed a few weeks ago - I have the Home Media DVR, HD Receiver, SD Receiver, and 3 adapters. For some reason the "Change" button on the bottom right of the remote does nothing when trying to switch or swap tuners on the Home Media DVR. Since I can't find documentation in the remote manual on this button I'm not sure what to do. Is it just not implemented yet? Is it working for others?  What about the PIP button next to it?  Is this supposed to work now or possibly in the future?  Thanx for any help.
Message Edited by realeyz on 06-01-2009 07:55 PM
0 Likes
Re: Tuner Switch (swap) Button on Remote not working
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

Try using the LAST button to swap tuners on the STB. 

PIP is not supported on the Motorola platform.  If your TV supports PIP then that button will control the TV's PIP when the remote is set for TV.

0 Likes
realeyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Okay, I see, its the button labelled "Last" rather than the last button on the remote itself which is what makes this confusing since that button is labelled "Change" and makes it appear as if its used to swap or "change" tuners.

This seems to be working but now when I try to swap tuners when they are both recording I only have the option of canceling what's being recorded on either tuner.  How do I change to see what the other tuner is recording?

0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
You can hit the DVR button to see what is actively being recorded.  The title will have a record icon to the left of it. 
0 Likes
realeyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear... I don't want to "know" what the other tuner is recording... I want to WATCH what it's recording... or have the ability to switch to the other tuner regardless of whether its recording or not.  When I hit the "Last" button this doesn't happen when both tuners are recording.. instead it gives me a selection box allowing me to cancel either recording.

Make sense? 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

The FiOS DVR has two tuners. Therefore you can record two channels, and you can watch either one of those channels, and you can use the Last button to switch between them. You cannot watch a third channel, but you can watch a previously recorded program.

Your description of what you are doing and what you are experiencing just does not compute. My guess is that the "last" channel you were on is not either of the ones you are recording, thus the DVR says you cannot do that. And you can't. Go to one of the channels being recorded, go to the other one being recorded, and then Last button will work.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
realeyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes thank you Justin... never said I was trying to go to a third channel. I fully realize and understand there are 2 tuners and that I can only watch either of the 2 tuners or something previously recorded. Not sure how you inferred anything other than what I said in previous message.

I think the confusion comes in defining exactly how the "Last" button is supposed to work. Traditionally in normal single tuner systems this would take you to the last channel you were on - simple enough. But now we have the complexity of dealing with 2 tuners and not just one anymore. In previous posts by myself I inquired about how we are supposed to switch to the other tuner and change channels independently of the other. Since there is no visual indicator of which tuner is in use at any given time we can only make assumptions about which one is active at any given time.

Since it seems in the programing of the interface they wanted to keep it as simple as possible for the user I can only assume they didn't want a visual indicator to allow knowledge of which tuner is in use. As of now if you hit the "Last" button while a single program is being recorded it takes you to the 2nd tuner to show the last channel you were on since the first tuner is recording something. Now in my example I state that at certain times you may have each of the 2 tuners each recording something at the SAME time.  In this example how can I switch between the 2 different shows being recorded so that I can view them as they are being recorded?  This is where the confusion comes.  Im not sure how I can make this any clearer than that.  In my mind its a very simple technical process with a very sloppy way of UI presentation and lack of control.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@realeyz wrote:

Yes thank you Justin... never said I was trying to go to a third channel. I fully realize and understand there are 2 tuners and that I can only watch either of the 2 tuners or something previously recorded. Not sure how you inferred anything other than what I said in previous message.

I think the confusion comes in defining exactly how the "Last" button is supposed to work. Traditionally in normal single tuner systems this would take you to the last channel you were on - simple enough. But now we have the complexity of dealing with 2 tuners and not just one anymore. In previous posts by myself I inquired about how we are supposed to switch to the other tuner and change channels independently of the other. Since there is no visual indicator of which tuner is in use at any given time we can only make assumptions about which one is active at any given time.

Since it seems in the programing of the interface they wanted to keep it as simple as possible for the user I can only assume they didn't want a visual indicator to allow knowledge of which tuner is in use. As of now if you hit the "Last" button while a single program is being recorded it takes you to the 2nd tuner to show the last channel you were on since the first tuner is recording something. Now in my example I state that at certain times you may have each of the 2 tuners each recording something at the SAME time.  In this example how can I switch between the 2 different shows being recorded so that I can view them as they are being recorded?  This is where the confusion comes.  Im not sure how I can make this any clearer than that.  In my mind its a very simple technical process with a very sloppy way of UI presentation and lack of control.

Well, since you say it is not working, I think you do not understand how the Verizon DVR works. That simple....

You don't know which channels you are recording? Then hit the DVR button on the remote and see. Gee, it's really simple. Then exit the DVR function. If those are not the two channels you last watched, enter the channel number of one of the channels to go to that one (the DVR will not prevent you from doing so), then enter the channel number for the other channel you are recording to go to that one if you need to (the DVR will not prevent you from doing so). Now you can use the Last button to switch between the two channels that you are recording because they are now the last two channels you viewed. 

The Last button switches between the LAST TWO CHANNELS YOU VIEWED. If you try to go to another (third) channel it can't because both tuners are in use for recording. I'm not sure how I can make this any clearer than that. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Realezy, I totally get what you are asking.  When I had TIVO with DirecTV we could swap between the two tuners.  Here you had the ability to watch show 1 and then rewind and fast forward etc.  and then swap to show 2 and then rewind fast forward etc.  All of this without recording.  

My wife loved that feature when Idol and Dancing with the stars was on.  She was able to rewind, play and fast forward each show and never miss any part of the show because TIVO gave you the ability to select which tuner you wanted to watch and then rewind, ff, play.

Its a good question that we have not been able to easily identify which channel each tuner is on so we can than fast forward or rewind or play on that channel.  There is a way to tell if you can rewind but I haven't been able to figure out if tuner 1 is changing its channel or if tuner 2 is changing its channel or if you are going between tuner 1 and tuner 2.

Anyone?  I hope this makese sense.

realeyz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you Jumpin.... EXACTLY what Im looking for.  A simple way to identify which tuner Im currently using so I can swap between them and do whatever I want - or in the case of the last scenario to simple jump to the other tuner that may happen to be also recording something. A very simple concept (at least to me) that Verizon seems to want to keep hidden yet they advertise the fact that you can record 2 different shows at the same time liberally on their ad media.

The really funny thing is that the "Change" button on the bottom of the remote is the perfect button for this very thing yet they only put it on there to control TVs with PIP capability (also which requires 2 tuners of course) - huh?  How dumb is that?

Someone please send the intuitive police to the verizon development offices.

0 Likes