Ultraviolet fail
pocogrande

I recently opened an UltraViolet account and purchased the English HD/HDX versions of 4 movies online: Fury, Interstellar, Jupiter Ascending, and Lucy

I then linked my UV account to my FiOS account and tried things out.  Terrible results below.

On the FiOS web site:

• Interstellar is greyed out; clicking it yields "We're sorry; the UltraViolet title you have selected is not authorized to be viewed on FiOS TV at this time. Please visit myuv.com for a list of alternate viewing options."
  • Fury, Jupiter Ascending, and Lucy show up in SD 

On my set top box:

• Interstellar doesn't show up
  • Fury and Lucy show up in Spanish only (titles even say "(En Easpanol)")
  • Jupiter Ascending shows up as the DVS version (narrated for vision impaired) 

Opened a ticket with Verizon: After various relinks, resets, refreshes, etc. they said it's UltraViolet's fault

Opened a ticket with UltraViolet: They said it's Verizon's fault

Opened another ticket with Verizon: They say it's either UltraViolet's fault or most movies just don't work this way.

Bottom line: FiOS / UV integration is currently junk. Wouldn't wast time with it.

0 Likes
Re: Ultraviolet fail
pocogrande

Update:

CTO of Ultraviolet contacted me for more details, as they too thought it sounded unlikely that the problem was anywhere but on the Verizon end. UltraViolet support team engaged Verizon directly (bypassing the "try rebooting your router brigade" that the rest of us go through) and within a week they had found the root case, as follows:

When Verizon maps with your UV account and grabs the access codes from UV, it matches them against the first version of that title in Verizon's One Demand library and gives you that one. So if the first version of "Ace Ventura" in the list is in Klingon, you get that. Clearly a bug. They're working on a short-term fix (give you ALL the versions of the movies you have in UV) and a long-term fix (give you the exact correct one you bought).

Very happy with UltraViolet's support.  I will post again when the whole thing is resolved.

0 Likes
pocogrande

In the end, Verizon's best fix was to provide multiple versions of each movie to my STB, rather than just the first one in their database (the bug). This would be OK in theory... but they were still only providing SD versions. So I gave up and bought a Roku, which streams the UltraViolet movies in HD just fine.

UltraViolet says that Verizon is still working on this, but I'm not likely to track their progress from here forward as I have a working solution with them out of the loop and Verizon didn't open a customer-facing help ticket on the issue.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes